Jersey Cape striper season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Jersey Cape striper season

Not sure how many boat fish for stripers off Cape May but they are starting a much needed project at a very bad time for fisherman who fish the Cape May Rips in the fall.
None of the equipment is here yet, but they were surveying on Tues.

From USCG Local Notices to Mariners:
Mariners are advised that beach replenishment and dredging operations will take place between Cape May Inlet and Brooklyn Avenue in Cape May, NJ between 09 October and 07 January, 2014. The Dredge R.S. WEEKS will be located approximately 4 miles offshore and will be transporting dredged material to the shoreline through a combination of floating and submerged pipeline. Dredge support equipment including several work tugs and anchor barges will be utilized around the R.S. WEEKS. Floating rubber pipeline extending 1,600 feet from the dredge and submerged pipeline leading to shore will be marked with lighted yellow buoys approximately every 40 feet. Additionally, a booster pump will be located between the shoreline and the dredge, approximately 2.5 miles from shore. A support barge will be located on the north side of Cape May Inlet and will be marked with yellow lights. The dredge and assisting vessels will monitor VHF-FM channels 13 and 10 and can be contacted at 985-237-5013. Mariners are advised to proceed with extreme caution and maintain minimum speed to reduce wake. Chart: 12316. LNM:41/13

This will make things a little dicey traveling in the fog or dark. This may change my fishing the rips altogether this fall and head up the bay a couple miles, sit on the hook and chunk. Its a lot cheaper using fresh bunker than spot or eels at 3 bucks a pop

Took a little run this morning and water temps are still in the 60's but this weeks cold front should help get things started.
Lots of marks but no takers. There are reports of schoolie size Stripers in the back bays and Weakfish up to 24 inches were being caught while drifting Mullet baits along the bottom. Glad to see the weakfish are getting a little bit bigger but nowhere near those cooler filling tide runners of the 70's and early 80's. Hopefully they are on a up cycle.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Part of the Community

Send a message via AIM to OIF: 09-11
Re: Jersey Cape striper season

How often do you go? I'm thinking of getting a trip planned for fall Stripers. Only have attempted in the spring.

OIF 09-11 Task Force Raven. Scouts Out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I don't get down as often as I would like. Only was down this weekend to close up the house and move the boat from the club it's normally slipped during the spring/summer and fall season to another location since they only allows us to keep boats in the water there till Nov. 1st.
I went out this morning and it was blowing pretty good and water temp in the inlet was 64. Didn't fish but had nice markings on the ff.
Still about 2 weeks before the water is in the upper 50's and the fall run gets moving.
Unless the weather gets bad the boat should stay in till after Christmas. With hunting and the holidays I will be lucky if I can sneak down 3 or 4 times during the week. Seriously considering this being the last time keeping the boat in that late. To much worry and to many good open charters boats available anymore to jump on for the limited time I seem to be able to run out.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Part of the Community

Send a message via AIM to OIF: 09-11

Shoot me a message. I would like to join you on a trip and make a new fishing buddy! I have 2 other people interested. All Law Enforcement.

OIF 09-11 Task Force Raven. Scouts Out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page