Aruba Fishing Trip (pictorial) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Aruba Fishing Trip (pictorial)

Got hitched on Aug 2nd and fished in Aruba Aug 8th, I couldnt have asked for a better week. I used www.flyfishingaruba.com to book a fishing trip for me an my wife, I really enjoy fishing in the Salt and every chance I get, I take advantage of it. After talking with other people in Aruba that used other charters to fish, I'm very happy with my decision to book a trip with FlyFishingAruba. It cost me $280 for 2 people to fish for 4.5 hours and we caught fish. I talked to a couple that paid $500 to fish with another couple and they didnt catch any fish, the one couple spent the whole time being sick on the boat and the other couple just sat around. Granted me and my wife fished inshore and the other couples fished deep sea, but I still think the price and experience was better than deep sea.
I was hesitant as how much fun my wife would have. She isnt a big fisherman but she had more fun than I did and cant wait to go fishing once we got home.

The day started when the alarm went off at 5am, my wife was just as excited as me to start fishing, excited enough to take this picture.
Thats kind of how the rest of the day went, my wife did fish and caught a fish, but she spent the time taking picture of the scenery and all the action.

We met the owner and captain of the boat at the dock at 6:15am, his name is Laurenz and he is a very nice person who has a vast knowledge of fishing in Aruba. The best part about Laurenz is he doesnt just sit there and drive the boat but he is there to help,. It was very helpful when he would help my wife. He showed her how to cast, how to work the lure and give her pointers on where the fish might be. By him helping my wife, it allowed me to concentrate more on catching fish and not have to worry about showing my wife what to do.
Not only did I have to worry about catching fish, but I had to worry about catching seagulls, the seagulls would dive at the artificial lures every so often. There were times that we had to hide the lures in our hand, to fool the seagulls into thinking there wasnt any bait.

After about an half an hour of fishing at our first spot, Laurenz commented on how calm the sea was further out. He said that he hasnt seen the seas that calm in 6 months and if we wanted we could troll our lures further out. We decided that we might as well move to our 2nd fishing spot and troll on the way there. As we were trolling to our second spot I got a hit.

Laurenz trying to see what is on my line

After about a 10-15 min fight, I was able to reel the fish close to the boat so Laurnez could net it.

The first fish of the day was called a Big Eyed Jack, also called a Horse Eyed Jack

This fish put up a heck of a fight, reminded me of a catfish because once you would get it close to the boat it would take off again.

Letting the Jack go

So we trolled to our second spot and this spot was a lot nicer than the first. This spot was about 15' deep with a reef and you could see the bottom. After about 20 casts using a new lure I got a hit at the dropoff of the reef. The second fish of the day was putting up a good fight also, but this fish was a lot more shinier than the jack. Once Laurenz saw the flash of light he called out, "Its a barracuda". Once I heard him say that I really wanted to get the fish in the boat, I never caught a barracuda and I always wanted to catch one.

The second spot we fished was a great spot, I caught one barracuda and lost 2 others. Laurenz said the one barracuda that got off was a real nice one. After an hour fishing at the second spot we deiced to move. Figuring we had success trolling, we decided would troll on the way to the 3rd spot.

The result of trolling to the 3rd spot was another barracuda.

After that second barracuda was caught the fishing came to a stand still, we trolled for the last half hour without any success. We had a great time, my wife who rarely fishes couldnt stop saying how much fun she had. If and when I go back to Aruba I would, without a doubt hire Laurenz again. He really knows what he is doing and the good fishing spots. He even gave us a ride back to our hotel so we didnt have to pay for a cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 03:53 PM

Re: Aruba Fishing Trip (pictorial)

Normally I'd start by wishing you condolences on the recent marriage BUT since she went fishing with you, it sounds like you made a great choice

congrats on a nice trip and some great fish. Now buy her some gear and get that new bride out on PA waters

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4c_game_chaser
Normally I'd start by wishing you condolences on the recent marriage BUT since she went fishing with you, it sounds like you made a great choice

congrats on a nice trip and some great fish. Now buy her some gear and get that new bride out on PA waters
Ha, she has gona bass fishing with me before and enjoyed it. Her birthday is in Oct, maybe i'll get her some ice fishing gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice trip! My honeymoon in aruba was fun (1996), though we opted for deep sea (mistake). We split charter with another couple who got sea sick... we still fished a little, until the lady almost fell oveboard puking. Her husband (puking too) insisted he would pay me for my half of the charter if we went in (on boat 1 hour). We said OK. Never saw a dime...pounded on his door at the resort too. Lucky I never saw him again. Aruba is beautiful, took jeep on northern coast from one end to the other very rural and scenic.
Willy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Talk to a couple who had the same thing happen, except for the money part. We went snorkeling also, which was a lot of fun. I've been to different countries but Aruba is the one I would return to in a heart beat.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great pics and it looks like you got a keeper! Congrats to you both. Been down there the last two years. First year we did the Riu and last year we stayed at the Marriott Beach Club. Both trips were very enjoyable. I told her this year we were doing something different. She'd go there every year if it were up to her. Alaska cruise on the 9th of September this year. Maybe I could talk her into a fishing excursion since I just gave her an engagement ring? If you go again and you didn't try Papiamentos make sure you do! IMO best food on the island! GOD bless you both and congrats again!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!

There is always a season!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by big28hunter
Great pics and it looks like you got a keeper! Congrats to you both. Been down there the last two years. First year we did the Riu and last year we stayed at the Marriott Beach Club. Both trips were very enjoyable. I told her this year we were doing something different. She'd go there every year if it were up to her. Alaska cruise on the 9th of September this year. Maybe I could talk her into a fishing excursion since I just gave her an engagement ring? If you go again and you didn't try Papiamentos make sure you do! IMO best food on the island! GOD bless you both and congrats again!
We actually stayed at the Riu, awesome place to stay if you ask me. We ate off the resort one night at an italian place, cant remember the name of it, but the shrimp were the size of an ash tray.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 05:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was really impressed with the Riu. The reason we decided to go elsewhere the second trip was because of a guy we met on the beach one day. He'd been going to Aruba for the last 24 years. Even before the build up. He told us that the restaurants on the island were top notch. Boy was he right!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 AM

I was there a week before you and decided not to book this same trip cuz we had so much fun just hanging out on the beach. darn it..I knew I should have went fishing..i have to go back, its the only answer I have. If you had gone the week before me, I would have known. I blame you, or your wife, whoever decided not to go a week earlier. Congrats tho, sounds like you had an awesome week. I was sporting a Pirates hat the week before

We Are...PENN STATE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page