NJ Striper and Bluefish Regs for 2020 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

NJ Striper and Bluefish Regs for 2020

Unbelievable that NJ will reduce the bluefish limit from 15 fish per person last year to 3 fish this year. That is nuts. Yes 15 was too many but an 80% reduction! Stripers will be 1 slot fish between 28-38". That coupled with the flounder regs and its obvious they really could care less about the rec guys and all the businesses that depend on them.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/out...ct/4747927002/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 11:56 AM
Sage

WOW Whaler....never heard of such a limit on blues!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 01:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think those fish per day limits is very acceptable. I dont see why anyone would need to kill more fish then that for personal use.

Good luck, Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
I think those fish per day limits is very acceptable. I dont see why anyone would need to kill more fish then that for personal use.

Good luck, Tony
I totally missed any inference re anyone needing to "kill more fish then that for personal use"??

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 02:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
I totally missed any inference re anyone needing to "kill more fish then that for personal use"??
If not for personal use (making them for dinner), what are they killing them for?

Good luck, Tony
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
If not for personal use (making them for dinner), what are they killing them for?

Good luck, Tony
Why do people need 300 lbs of deer meat in the freezer to consider it a successful season???? Because they can.
NiceRack! likes this.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:32 PM

Whaler that is because all the money the commercial fisheries throw into lobbyists.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Good luck, Tony
There is no need to limit bluefish to 3 fish. They pull these assessment numbers out their @$$. If you are talking snapper blues 3 fish might feed 2 people. I never waste any fish and enjoy eating blues fresh, smoking them and giving some to my family (my Mom loves them). Again if the population is so low that you are going to limit me to 3 fish then the commercial fishery should be shut down.
loridr likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:22 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
... There is no need to limit bluefish to 3 fish. They pull these assessment numbers out their @$$. If you are talking snapper blues 3 fish might feed 2 people.

And if yer talking jumbo blues, two things... there is such a thing as a freezer... and... not that easy to release jumbo blues, hope you have enough extra fingers that you can stand to loose a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
... Again if the population is so low that you are going to limit me to 3 fish then the commercial fishery should be shut down.

^ This ^
Whaler and Huntered like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Good luck, Tony
Some folks have chest freezers, and like to vacuum seal months or even a year's worth of meals from the hobby/sport...
When you consider the price to actually catch enough to put up in the freezer, these limits CRUSH rec and charter fishing.

Family had a 41 Albemarle. Cost $1200 to fill the tanks. Average day trip was a $400 minimum affair..
Used to be able to catch enough to justify the cost from a price/lb perspective (even if it was double market rate, it was fun.)
But as the regs tightened over the years to the point of absurdity, it's simply not worth it to go out and play extremely expensive catch and release.

But the NMFS is happy to let every foreign country and commercial outfit under the sun come in and catch fish half the size and in crazy tonnages ...
The only folks truly happy with these regs are PETA, commercial fishermen, and the fish cops.

The Albe sold this summer after being listed for 4 years.. (Regs killed the used boat market too) Probably could have parted it out for more than it sold for...
We get out inshore and bay runs now in a 24' center console. Way cheaper on fuel, but it cut the target species down a lot, as the canyon runs aren't justifiable.
Birch812 and Whaler like this.

Last edited by Wingatchtochwilsit; 02-15-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page