• 2 Post By Whaler
  • 1 Post By Birch812
  • 1 Post By BlueMthunter
  • 1 Post By justgrad25

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question Salt Water live Baits

A Coast Guardsman that fished in the Gulf of Mexico. All I ever used was mullet in Texas or cut bait.

On the Jersey shore it was Mullet. I also did real well in places like Hawaii Pearl Harbor with placing a Sand crab on the hook for Bonefish. Sand Crabs worked well in Cape May NJ.

It was just only recently when I went to Maine I used Blood Worms. Special hook needed up there to use blood worms. Surprised when the pinchers came out of their head too. HA HA HA of course I read up on them.. The things have venom in the pinchers if you can believe the web. Anyone ever get bit by a blood worm? curious if they have a sting to them.

So what are the live bait of choice up the entire Eastern Sea Board when jetty or surf fishing? Is there a time of the year that Blood Worms are better than Mullet? Which live bait will most fish hit?

I remember buying some of the shad in Walmart with the black dot on it's tail.. It was in a bag of alcohol preservative yet. You should see the flounder I was catching out along the Jetty at Cape May light house.

Yep I have been around water (USCG) but most times I just use cut bait from a blue fish or Mullet or I always use those Wal Mart black dot tail shad..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Sage

Here's a list of what I use:

(1) live mud minnows(jetty, inside or surf);

(2) frozen shiners(jetty & inside);

(3) fresh spot/bunker(surf);

(4) fresh mullet(surf);

(5) live white perch(inside)
flintlock hunter likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 10-19-2019 at 08:16 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:40 PM

When we lived near and fished the raritan bay, and raitan river we used cast nets when we spotted bunker. Tough to keep alive, but they work great on strippers and bluefish, livelined. Fresh dead is a great bait as well, much better than the frozen bunker at the bait shoppes.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:13 AM
Administrator

When I lived near Trenton, NJ we had a run of Herring come up the Delaware River every spring. We caught them using just gold hooks, no bait. Evidently the gold hooks resemble some sort of plankton the Herring feed on and you get fish on just about every cast you make. We would grind the Herring up for chum and freeze it to use when fishing for Bluefish or Tuna and we'd also freeze some whole to use as cut bait.
Caught Winter Flounder on Bloodworms.
Caught Summer Flounder (Fluke) on Killies we caught right at the dock using a minnow trap, on Spearing that we'd use down at the bay beach, and on Squid but we didnt pay the high bait shop price, we bought Calamari, they're the same thing. We also caught Fluke by bouncing Bucktail Jigs dressed with a streamer cut from a Fluke's belly. Clams worked well on all sorts of fish. Stripers like all sorts of bait including Crabs and live eels.
Offshore for big game calls for different ways of baiting and of using lures.

MAGA 2020
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:37 AM

Most of the Live baits I use I catch myself. Live baits in salt water I use the following:
For fluke we usually use live minnow with a 6" cut squid trailer, tog we use green crab for winter flounder, spot,and king fish we used blood worm and my favorite, live bunker, spot or eels for stripers.
Lures, artificial and cut baits work but live baits are easy to catch and are more productive.
Buying live baits from the tackle shop to chase your favorite fish can actually be more expensive that buying the targeted catch at a fish market.

You can dig up clams,pick muscles off bridge piling and rock piles, cast net peanut bunker or larger ones in the Delaware bay from large schools. Fish heads and flounder racks in a minnow trap will get you buckets of minnows and shiners, and dead horseshoe crabs in minnow cages attracts every eel you will need for bait.

Catching your own is a lot of fun to do with the grandkids too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:08 PM

I've been pinched several times by blood worms. Never noticed any type of venom sting or reaction. Like using blood worms for kingfish, spot, weakfish, perch and stripers.

Live killies/minnows for flounder

Live eels, perch and bunker for big stripers
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:32 PM

Took a friend out for winter flounder who was from Ohio, he stuck his fingers into the bedding they put in the old style Chinese take out containers the tackle shop sold blood worm s in and one latched onto him. He thought we were using snakes as bait
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
Most of the Live baits I use I catch myself. Live baits in salt water I use the following:
For fluke we usually use live minnow with a 6" cut squid trailer, tog we use green crab for winter flounder, spot,and king fish we used blood worm and my favorite, live bunker, spot or eels for stripers.
Lures, artificial and cut baits work but live baits are easy to catch and are more productive.
Buying live baits from the tackle shop to chase your favorite fish can actually be more expensive that buying the targeted catch at a fish market.

You can dig up clams,pick muscles off bridge piling and rock piles, cast net peanut bunker or larger ones in the Delaware bay from large schools. Fish heads and flounder racks in a minnow trap will get you buckets of minnows and shiners, and dead horseshoe crabs in minnow cages attracts every eel you will need for bait.

Catching your own is a lot of fun to do with the grandkids too.
In Maine Blood Worms cost $7.00 a dozen at the bait shop.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Mole crabs aka sand fleas

Stripers
Drum
Tog
sheepshead
Whaler likes this.

I just come here to sample the WHINE!!

4C,5B,5C
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For live bait, whatever is legal, swims, and is a little smaller than the fish you are targeting!

Offshore in the gulf, when fishing for AJ's, we'd use 5#-8# live chubs and hardtails for live bait. 20/0 circle through the dorsal fin area of their back, a couples of lead, and send it down to the bottom over deep hard bottom structure of next to a rig leg. Lock up the drag, set the rod in the rear gunnel rod holder, and when the rod doubles over, gun the boat for a hundred yards or so to clear the rig or structure and fight the 50# to 80# Amberjack....fun times!

On the beach, used lots of live mullet, whiting and croaker, the bigger the better (up to 18") for sharks and bull reds. Amazing what a bull red can fit in their mouth. Live pinfish worked for trout, red snapper, flounder, reds, and they come in all sized, depending on the hook size and the size of the piece of shrimp you use.

We used loads of live shrimp for bait on the Texas coast too...bonus was, if you had a bad day and the shrimp were big ones, you could eat your bait on after a quick sear on the grille at the end of the day.
DIYASUB likes this.

Suburban redneck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page