• 1 Post By Bigbrownie
  • 1 Post By LMBUCK
  • 1 Post By RyanR
  • 1 Post By icemole

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Whale Shark Sighting!!

Capt Brian(Y Knot Fishing Adventures) who lives behind my place in Chincoteague had a rare sighting this past week. Have fished with Capt Brian & he's second to none for trolling for flounder!! A great guy all round.

http://www.delmarvalife.com/delmarva...s-whale-shark/

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 08-23-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: ....added link to video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:15 PM

Great video.
Loggy likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:12 AM
The Man

It would be cool to see something like that. He said it was about 18 feet long!

If you've been going to the shore a long time, maybe you can answer this question.

Have you been seeing dolphins ever since you began going to the shore? Or is that something relatively new?

When I was a kid in the 1960s my parents used to take us to Ocean City, NJ, and I also went there a few times in the early 1970s.

In those years I don't recall ever seeing a dolphin, or hearing anyone talking about seeing them.

But in the early 1990s we had a family gathering at a beach house a little ways south of Virginia Beach and we saw dolphins every day.

Then in around the late 1990s we had a family gathering at Ocean City, NJ, where we had gone as kids. And again we saw dolphins every day. And we were on exactly the same stretch of beach as we went to as kids, near the music pier.

Were dolphins around in the 1960s and 1970s, but it just so happened that we didn't see them? Or have their populations increased?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post

If you've been going to the shore a long time, maybe you can answer this question.

Have you been seeing dolphins ever since you began going to the shore? Or is that something relatively new?

When I was a kid in the 1960s my parents used to take us to Ocean City, NJ, and I also went there a few times in the early 1970s.

In those years I don't recall ever seeing a dolphin, or hearing anyone talking about seeing them.

But in the early 1990s we had a family gathering at a beach house a little ways south of Virginia Beach and we saw dolphins every day.

Then in around the late 1990s we had a family gathering at Ocean City, NJ, where we had gone as kids. And again we saw dolphins every day. And we were on exactly the same stretch of beach as we went to as kids, near the music pier.

Were dolphins around in the 1960s and 1970s, but it just so happened that we didn't see them? Or have their populations increased?
Interesting question!! I saw very few say 25-30 years ago but it seems like in the past 10 years I'm seeing more & more plus back in some inside areas(couple miles inside inlets).

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Regular Visitor

My buddy has a place on mallard court.
We were just out with Yknot 2 weeks ago.
Really nice guy who loves to fish!
Loggy likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBUCK View Post
My buddy has a place on mallard court.
We were just out with Yknot 2 weeks ago.
Really nice guy who loves to fish!
Amen LMBUCK!! Capt Brian sure works his butt off for ya!! We bought our place there 5 years ago right across from the marina/boat ramp. Wouldn't be for helping my 86 year old Mom plus helping keep the 3 grandkids here at home.....id move down there in a minute!! Currently getting about 2-3 months a year down there so still keepin enuff of the living salt air in the lungs!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post

My family has been vacationing at the Jersey Shore since the 70s and that is our observation as well. From the 90s on we saw dolphins regularly and also the water became a bit clearer and cleaner (I could now actually see bluefish, etc swimmig in the water) and the baby clam beds returned along the ocean front. And from 92-96 I was stationed in places like VA Beach and Florida and saw dolphins all the time too. To me it was proof that after prior decades of more pollution the coast was recovering, getting cleaner and healthier.
Loggy likes this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Many years back as a youngster we spent a week down in Rehobath/Indian River area Flounder fishing, clamming, etc. with my great uncle(G.U.) and his clan. We had a 12' V hull - great uncle had a 14' V hull and there may have been another similar craft depending on who all was at the campground. One day Pop(40's) and I(under 10) went out fishing with G.U.(60's) and his one son(40's) in his boat. Now G.U. fit the category "crazy uncle" and his son fit the mold as well. On our way back in we come across this 3' floppy shark looking fin, G.U. on the tiller driving, Pop + I sharing the middle bench with #1 son in front. G.U. pulls up next to this fin G.U. is asking what is that - next thing you know #1 son grabs it and tries to lift it up so see what it is. Well I had enough of that and freaked - I mean who pulls on a shark fin LOL.... Later on back at the campground another boat towed in the culprit.... an Ocean Sunfish what it was doing in the bay who knows
Loggy likes this.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Never know what you're gonna see out there as long as your tributary fishing is tied into the ocean.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page