Used Bay boat recommendation? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Used Bay boat recommendation?

Buying a place down on the Northern Neck(Virginia) off the Mobjack Bay. Got a boat in the deal but nothing I can reasonably fish off of. Would like something 21 - 24' that is easy to just get on and get out fishing. Would like some open space so we can take the dogs once in awhile. Also prefer an outboard I think for simplicity and being able to work on it if needed.

Our place has a good dock with 3 slips but no lift so boat will be in water all season. There is a marina a few hundred yards from our place on the way out to the Bay but would like something economical so I'm not wasting time filling up often.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:44 PM
Banned

How much are you looking to spend? I would suggest a center console, something with a good front hull flair to keep you dry. With all the marinas and boat sales places around the Chesapeake, if I were you I would visit a few and talk to the boat salesmen tell them what you are looking for, what you want to do and your price range and if you buy one get the boat and motor surveyed before you buy. I kept two boats on the bay over a period of 8 years.
bohunr, rrroae and Laylow like this.

Last edited by Woods walker; 07-02-2019 at 03:53 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Woods Walker, appreciate the information.

I think our max budget will be $40k. I'd love a center console but am wondering about a pilot house as well for when we have women onboard or to extend the season. I just don't want to get in over my head when I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing and don't want anything overly complicated or high maintenance.

Probably do 70% fishing and 30% pleasure cruising.
bohunr likes this.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 PM

For the budget you are allowing you will have no problem finding something used. If your in no hurry I would wait till the end of the season, right now people are asking too dollar.
Catch one where it is up for sale to avoid storing at end of season or the owner plans on upgrading at a boat show.
I plan on selling my Grady White but will wait to do it over the winter. It is great for offshore trips but is heavy and with 2-200 Merc Verados, 5 people tackle and 250 gal of fuel It gets 1.5 mpg at 50 MPH. I am going to a 28 Billistic with 3-250 Hp Yahama engines since this will be the last boat I buy. I still get more use out of a 21 ft cc with a 90 hp, great for bay fishing and crabbing. Got this for the grandkids.
Look for a name brand hull, and look for the power to have less than 300 hrs. Most of the money on a used boat hangs on the back end of the boat.
Best way to tell if a boat spends the season is if it has bottom paint, which is something you will want if your not going to have a lift.
You should get many years out of a properly maintained boat. It's biggest enemy is the amount of time it gets laid up here in the NE section of the coast.
Good Luck
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:45 AM

I know of a Grady White that the owner hasnt used for 2 years because of health issues. the boat is in Delaware

that is all I know about it, if it interests you send a Pm & I will get the 2 of you together.
bohunr likes this.

NRA life member
DU member
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
For the budget you are allowing you will have no problem finding something used. If your in no hurry I would wait till the end of the season, right now people are asking too dollar.
Catch one where it is up for sale to avoid storing at end of season or the owner plans on upgrading at a boat show.
I plan on selling my Grady White but will wait to do it over the winter. It is great for offshore trips but is heavy and with 2-200 Merc Verados, 5 people tackle and 250 gal of fuel It gets 1.5 mpg at 50 MPH. I am going to a 28 Billistic with 3-250 Hp Yahama engines since this will be the last boat I buy. I still get more use out of a 21 ft cc with a 90 hp, great for bay fishing and crabbing. Got this for the grandkids.
Look for a name brand hull, and look for the power to have less than 300 hrs. Most of the money on a used boat hangs on the back end of the boat.
Best way to tell if a boat spends the season is if it has bottom paint, which is something you will want if your not going to have a lift.
You should get many years out of a properly maintained boat. It's biggest enemy is the amount of time it gets laid up here in the NE section of the coast.
Good Luck
I agree, for your budget you should not have a problem finding a boat. The hard part is deciding on the type you want. Do not be in a hurry because you want it right now, a boat is a big investment and you need to be sure it is the kind you want. It is a terrible thing if after you bought your boat you see one you liked the lay out better. Go to boat shows and boat yards where they sell boats and look, get on board asked questions. You will be glad you did in the end.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for all the advice. Really not sure exactly what we want and don't want to make a big mistake right off the bat. Do you guys who have boats on the Bay or fish down there like having the protection of a pilot house or cuddy or do you prefer the extra fishing room with an open CC?

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Having the enclosed space that can sleep 3 and having a full head with shower is nice for the kids and ladies. Gives them a comfortable space if weather turn wet. Let's me also store fishing deck chairs, 12 fishing rods and it all locks allowing me to keep all fishing gear and electronics for the season.
My GW is a Marlin walk around but it is possible to fish 2 up front and 5 standing in the rear. I don't like running off shore with more than 4.

In the spring I am going with a 28' CC but that will have an extended hardtop with isinglass that will offer shelter from wind and rain. The head is smaller but serves its function.
My main reason for going to a CC is I want 3 engines and it will be easier to dock if I have the grandkids out by myself. With the Marlin being so high It catches the wind like a sail and it is becoming a pain to run around getting it into my slips the CC model offers lots of foot space.
If you have not used it try boats.com or thesaltydog.com they both let you select boats in the area you choose.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:13 PM

If you're looking for strictly fishing I love my 176 CC key west. It is a little smaller than you were looking for but they do come in all sizes.

The new 186CC (next size up from mine) comes with a porta-potti and privacy room to use it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delaware.jpg (1.58 MB, 5 views)
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Go out on a charter or two down there that have boats that are styles you are thinking about. See how it fishes and how comfy it is....

Another option, if you can find it, is to rent a boat for a 1/2 day that is a style you are thinking about. Might be a tough find fairly close to you but I now in the Carolinas, you can usually rent CC's, pontoons, and even open bows and give them a try.

A 24'-26' dual console with hard top or high soft top and side curtains may be a style boat you would be interested in. Some have heads in the passenger consoles, have lots of lounging space up front but, if you get the hard top or soft top and get the side curtains and cockpit enclosures, you can button it up when needed for inclement weather.

Not sure what the used market is like for these as I think they started adding the heads to the side consoles a little more recently.

Suburban redneck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page