Used Bay boat recommendation? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Part of the Community

You are a little south, so extended fishing seasons are a plus. That said fall and spring fishing can be chilly and wet. I love the freedom of a center console and owned one for 10+ years (Hydrasport 2596). I sold it for 18K, bought for over 100K. Worry about solid/dry hull and newer motors which could eat 25K of that budget for new. You'll be fine though. If you are just looking for a place to get out of the elements, bathroom for the ladies, then a Parker could be a good option. Net is they are out there. Have fun! Miss my boat!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrroae View Post
Buying a place down on the Northern Neck(Virginia) off the Mobjack Bay. Got a boat in the deal but nothing I can reasonably fish off of. Would like something 21 - 24' that is easy to just get on and get out fishing. Would like some open space so we can take the dogs once in awhile. Also prefer an outboard I think for simplicity and being able to work on it if needed.

Our place has a good dock with 3 slips but no lift so boat will be in water all season. There is a marina a few hundred yards from our place on the way out to the Bay but would like something economical so I'm not wasting time filling up often.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Something like this is what I was thinking about...

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/20...dard%20listing
rrroae likes this.

Suburban redneck.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgrad25 View Post
Something like this is what I was thinking about...

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/20...dard%20listing

That looks pretty close to what I'm shooting for.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup1279 View Post
If you're looking for strictly fishing I love my 176 CC key west. It is a little smaller than you were looking for but they do come in all sizes.

The new 186CC (next size up from mine) comes with a porta-potti and privacy room to use it.

The small boats we used to rent 20 years ago out of Sandy Point State Park were a lot smaller than that and we fished halfway out the Bay Bridge on them. If it was just me, I'd love a boat like that but with the place we're getting, we're going to have lots of company which means women out on the boat. Gotta have a little privacy for them.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrroae View Post
The small boats we used to rent 20 years ago out of Sandy Point State Park were a lot smaller than that and we fished halfway out the Bay Bridge on them. If it was just me, I'd love a boat like that but with the place we're getting, we're going to have lots of company which means women out on the boat. Gotta have a little privacy for them.
If you were ever on the Chesapeake when a squall line came ripping up the bay you will be glad for the extra beam length and free board, I know I was. I saw more than one boat come back the the marina with it's canvass and eising glass shredded.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I was talking with my uncle this past weekend and showing him some pictures of our dock. He suggested I might want to put money into the dock by building a boathouse and putting in a lift and then saving up for a boat. The pier is 200 ft long and is somewhat narrow at around 3ft. Planking is weathered but very solid.

It sounds like the smart thing to do but man it's hard thinking about waiting another year, possibly 2, to get on the water.

Would like to get some opinions from you fellas what you would do?

These are the only pictures we have right now until we go down on the 26th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat 2.jpg (34.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg boat.jpg (87.9 KB, 3 views)

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:58 AM

Before you start making plans to build better check with the EPA and see what hoops they will require.
When we did our dock replacement at the Jersey shore they broke our stones. We could do piling replacement 1 for 1 in exact location and top board replacement, with a permit of course then we needed to get CAFRA permits. They required engineered submitted prints and a shellfish impact study. Then the guidelines for pier width, board spacing to allow adequate sunlight into the water was over the top.
End result for a permit to do up to 50 K in renovations and a 10X10 addition to a sundeck cost over 18 K in fees and engineering expenses.
Lucky we had the riparian rights with the property extending out to include all our dock and pier or it would have been even more expensive since we would need a lease with the state of New Jersey for the sq ft we would be on their property, and Jersey claims any bay front up to the extreme high water mark.
Anyone who ever owned a boat will tell you it is just a acronym for Break Out Another Thousand but when they are running right they are worth every penny.
Good Luck
rrroae likes this.

Last edited by Birch812; 07-15-2019 at 12:03 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Sage

Then again your property taxes will probably go up as well with a boat house. How far out that dock to you have to go to have water deep enough to float a larger boat at low tide or on a neep tide? That is a long way to run electric to run a lift and lifts for 20 something foot boats are not inexpensive, neither is getting a barge to drive in the pilings to frame out a boathouse. It would be nice to have but is the juice worth the squeeze to you to have a boat house? Not knocking you Uncle, probably has your best interests in mind but it is easy to spend big bucks when it is someone elses's money. A good custom boat cover from one of the many canvas shops on the bay would be a lot less money.
rrroae likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:17 PM

I don't know what you're looking for exactly but I'll tell you what I use for in-shore fishing in florida. I have a Key West 21 foot center console bay boat with a Yamaha 150 hp outboard. I fish all of Charlotte Harbor, the Peace river, Myakka river, and Boca Grande. I bought it used for $16k, it was about 5 years old at the time and in good shape. I've been very happy with the quality of the boat, runs smooth in rough water yet shallow enough to get me 'back in where I need to be. It has a 24 volt electric mounted on the bow and a poling platform over the stern. I looked for a while before finding the right boat, bought it from the original owner.
rrroae likes this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
Before you start making plans to build better check with the EPA and see what hoops they will require.
When we did our dock replacement at the Jersey shore they broke our stones. We could do piling replacement 1 for 1 in exact location and top board replacement, with a permit of course then we needed to get CAFRA permits. They required engineered submitted prints and a shellfish impact study. Then the guidelines for pier width, board spacing to allow adequate sunlight into the water was over the top.
End result for a permit to do up to 50 K in renovations and a 10X10 addition to a sundeck cost over 18 K in fees and engineering expenses.
Lucky we had the riparian rights with the property extending out to include all our dock and pier or it would have been even more expensive since we would need a lease with the state of New Jersey for the sq ft we would be on their property, and Jersey claims any bay front up to the extreme high water mark.
Anyone who ever owned a boat will tell you it is just a acronym for Break Out Another Thousand but when they are running right they are worth every penny.
Good Luck

New boat it is!

Good grief. What a pain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page