2019 Upper Chesapeake Striper Reports - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

2019 Upper Chesapeake Striper Reports

Looks like 2019 is starting off like 2018 with lots of high water. Made my first trip down the the upper bay this morning. I sat for 20 minutes drinking my coffee watching a couple guys fish the high stained water. Saw a guy get a nice fat 30" on cut bait and that was all it took to get me fishing. Couldn't believe it but I hooked a 21" keeper on my first cast! Beginners luck because I fished about 3 hours until I got the next hit but it was a decent 26". Not bad only had 2 fish but both keepers. The guy fishing cut bait also caught a 34" blue cat. First one of those I ever saw. I was wading up to my waist when I saw a large nasty fish right next to me and it was a snakehead. First time I've ever seen one of those too. Hopefully we get some dry weather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stripes.JPG (202.8 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:39 PM

dinner is taken care of.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Caz
New Arrival

Nice fish, congrats.

5B 4B 4D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Took the boat down to Rock Hall on Friday with a buddy. Fished bunker chunks for 4 hours and got 3 catfish. One was my first blue cat. No stripers -not even a little one and not many other boats. Last year we were limiting within an hour.

Took the same buddy down to the upper bay wade fishing this morning and I quickly landed 2 nice 25" stripers. My buddy took awhile but he limited out with 2 stripers too. There are a good number of nice fish way north. Don't understand why there aren't more down south but I'm not complaining.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:41 PM
Sage

Guess the shad run is about over??

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I think the shad run is over but I never fish for them after June 1-the opening of striper in the upper bay
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Fished the upper from shore today with my son. We landed about 8 but only had 3 keepers to 26". Also had a nice flathead that we gave to another fisherman. A nice morning
Loggy likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Today was outstanding. Used a headlamp to get to the water in the dark. I sat on the bank finishing my coffee until it just started getting light. I slammed the fish until about 6:30. I landed at least a dozen keeper bass to 27" and had about 6 shorts too. Also landed 2 flathead cats and a fat pig 31" blue cat. I never saw a blue cat until this year and now I already caught 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluecat.JPG (254.0 KB, 10 views)
Dogface likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

I tried to do a repeat of Wednesday. The water was higher and stained from last nights rain. Same time, same lure but only 1 short bass, a flathead and another nice blue cat. I tried some of the blue cat I got last time and was very pleasantly surprised. It is probably the best eating catfish compared to channels and flathead.
Dogface and Uncle Nicky like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
I tried to do a repeat of Wednesday. The water was higher and stained from last nights rain. Same time, same lure but only 1 short bass, a flathead and another nice blue cat. I tried some of the blue cat I got last time and was very pleasantly surprised. It is probably the best eating catfish compared to channels and flathead.
Never ate a blue but lots of channels and love them!! Look fwd to trying a blue sometime. IMO...those size stripers are far better than those BIG Trophy Hogs!!
Whaler likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in