Aruba surf fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By mallardmaniac
  • 3 Post By mallardmaniac

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Aruba surf fishing

Headed back to Aruba in MArch and plan on doing some surf fishing. The high tide is expected around 6-9am that week. I dont saltwater fish very often. i have a telescoping rod and planned on 30 pound braid on the spool. From what ive gathered spoons are ofter good there. i also bought a cuban yoyo handline and a balloon fishing kit to get my line out to the deeper water. I have fishbites, gulp shrimp, and spoons for lures/bait. I guess there are snook cudas and who know what else around any suggestions for leaders and hood sizes? good all around set up? I assume fish last 2 hours of incoming tide and teh first hours of outgoing? Also doing a bottom fishing day with the family. I get too sick to do a deep sea trip!Thanks for any tips

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:23 AM
Sage

Not familiar with tide tables, optimum tides, surf structure etc there so if I were going......I'd check with a local bait shop as to what rod/line& leader types, rigs, weights(if bottom fishing), lure sizes/weights, casting techniques, baits etc work best. Have a fun trip!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 08:30 AM

I was just bottom fishing in Florida .and my set up was 80 pound mono with a 8 ounce slide sinker then a swivel with a 40 pound leader and a 7/0 hook ,, we was in about 70 feet of water ,,even with the 8 ounce sinker the line was still not hanging straight down due to the strong current ,bait was either squid or cut up herring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:00 PM

I would do what Loggy said. Stop at a local bait and tackle place and ask them and buy some bait. Maybe even try locating one before you leave and call them. That being said I would still pack a couple rigs with some circle hooks and few fish finder rigs. If you catch something small on the fish bites/gulp strip it or put it on whole with the circle hooks and go for something big
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Might be late to the party here but, where are you staying there? I snorkeled there on the beachfront a lot. On the main hotel side near the ship channel, not really your traditional surf fishing beachfront. I did see lots of smallish cudas hanging out in the potholes of the weeds and your typical small reef fish around any kind of structure.

I never did any surf fishing there.

Hope you have good luck....and take your snorkeling gear.

Suburban redneck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:57 PM

Hotel side beaches probably not for surf fishing. Fine sandy beaches that you an walk 100yds into the water and still be only waist deep.
Head to the north & west side of the island.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Well folks thanks for the replies here's the report. Most of the fishing was in front of the hotel the Divi, mostly in the morning before the swimmers came out but I did manage to keep myself busy with small surf fish around 6 to 10 in on a simple two hook bottom rig with some fish bites bloodworm scent. The one day we did rent a buggy and I got to the north side in beside the natural pool I decided I could chuck a few spoons out real quick while they were swimming. I was pretty excited as I caught a red snapper in that ripping tide. Another day we took a 4-Hour bottom fishing trip and it was pretty boring we just went out the two different spots, dropped cut-bait down and maybe between 10 people got a dozen fish. Triggerfish, a grouper, yellowtail Snapper, a baracuda trolling on the way back but hey at least I didn't get sick this time. Then on next the last day the wife and I took a kayak out where I could get to a little bit deeper water and I chucked the gold spoon hoping to come up with something. After a few cast I decided I would just troll behind it and enjoy the time with my wife, set the drag light stuck between my legs and paddled. Then out of nowhere my line went screaming. I thought holy crap I caught a barracuda. I started to reel it in when it decided to go for a run, sent the line screaming again and I heard a crack between my legs. I looked down and my rod was 90% shattered right above the reel. So I grabbed a hold at the breaking point hoping to keep it together and as I fought the fish even closer and it went for another run the rod completely broken in two. So here I sit in a top of a kayak with part of a broken rod in one hand the other jammed between my knees and trying to land this barracuda all the while Gathering attention from the beach goers. It was an epic battle but in the end I won and landed the Beast. Well maybe not a beast only a two foot Barracuda with a big mouth full of teeth but it was pretty awesome in my mind . So it's a half day the next day till we left I was stuck with my hand line which was fun.. Lots of small surf fish on the fish bites again. If I had to do it again I would have borrowed kayak for an hour every day and just went out past the swimmers and fish like that. I did manage to send one smaller fish out on a hook with my balloon but the wind wasn't right and I was going more down the shore than I was out to sea. All in all I probably caught about two dozen fish which kept me more than happy considering it was a family vacation. This was a telescopic pole that I bought on eBay for like 30 bucks so I'm not surprised it broke but it did survive 2 fishing trips to Aruba so I'll take it.
Loggy, loridr and Whaler like this.

We Are...PENN STATE
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Here is a few from the boat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190318_045323_1553000714925.jpg (604.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20190318_063206_1553000789735.jpg (807.9 KB, 7 views)
Loggy, loridr and GSP66 like this.

We Are...PENN STATE
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:07 AM
Sage

Sounds like a fun trip!! Water color looks beautiful!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in