2019 NJ Saltwater Fish seasons and Limits - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
Big problem with the Striper runs is about bait.
Since they started dredging the Delaware River the Delaware Bay is hurting for most types of fish. I have not fished the Bay or the Rips for stripers in the past 5 years.
Several years ago we started trolling North from the Cold Springs inlet up past Sea Isle, but the last few seasons the bunker and eels were outside the 3 mile mark and so were the stripers.
Loosening up the regs will not do much for the recreational fisherman since they cannot extend out past the 3 mile mark since that would be federal waters and that is in a very limited stretch off NY where they do allow this.
Now summer flounder is definitely the commercial fleet both foreign and domestic that have hurt their numbers, and the ridiculous size limits they push.

I ran across large schools of striped bass as far out as 10 miles from shore feeding on miles of peanut bunker. But they were way outside of where they are legal.
Last 2 seasons the big boat came out early, year before last was for a hurricane and this year I had them pull it at the end of September because I knew the signs were not looking good for a strong fall run.
From the way I’ve understood it is the water 3+ nautical miles not only federal but they wanted a safe haven for fish to migrate without angling pressure. I’ve seen/known guys that go and fish 5-6 miles off and they do really well. They just run into issues when state officials are waiting on the 3 mile line. I don’t condone doing that at all nor is it right but potentially lifting that exclusion zone would help the recreational angler.

As always dredging and beach replenishment are a leading cause for fish and bait to vacant areas that they once thrived. If NJ was smart they would begin tinkering with their regulations for a few years to help increase numbers and discounte beach replenishment programs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Not sure how other sections of the Jersey shore are but the Coast Guard patrol that 3 mile line really heavy during striper season.
I have had them come over and have a chat on several occasions, but never had the marine police or F&W board me during striper season.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Here is the season and size and limit for Fluke in New Jersey this year..

Summer Flounder: 18'" minimum size, 3/angler, May 25 - Sept 22
(17” minimum size, 3/angler west of COLREGS on Delaware Bay; 16” minimum size, 2/angler at IBSP)

Sounds very unfair again this year since anglers fishing the same waters as the Delaware fisherman are held to higher size limits, number and a much shorter season.

Summer Flounder: 16-1/2" minimum size, 4/angler, No Closed Season

Same deal with Sea Bass
JerseyBlack Sea Bass: 12-1/2” minimum open 5/15-6/22 (10 fish); 12-1/2” minimum open 7/1-8/31 (2 fish); 12-1/2” minimum open 10/8-10/31 (10 fish); 13" minimum open 11/1-12/31 (15 fish)

Delaware Black Sea Bass: 12-1/2 inches, open 5/15-12/31 (15 fish).

fishing in the Delaware bay its not where you catch them its where you dock at that determines which regs you need to follow.

Last edited by Birch812; 03-10-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page