Crab Seasoning: J.O. Spice vs Old Bay etc?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Crab Seasoning: J.O. Spice vs Old Bay etc??

Switched to J.O. No 2 several years ago but seems like recent batches contain too much salt so I'm back to Old Bay. Curious what you crabber folks use??

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Banned

Old Bay is way too tame for crab seasoning and has no salt in it at all.. If I can find JO's seasoning in PA that is what I use, there are a couple of seafood places in my area that have their own blend that is very close to JO's.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Sage

John...you turned me on to J.O. a number of years ago and I've been happy up till recent. Read somewhere that they are using a higher concentration of course ground rock salt. The J.O. 1 doesn't have the rock salt & some have switched to the JO No. 1. Some are try mixing 1/4 JO2 with 3/4 OB and are pleased which is next on my list to try. I have no problem finding JO in VA plus online at Eastern Marine. https://www.easternmarine.com/jo-2-crab-seasoning-16-oz

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:36 PM
The Man

Wegman's has crab fest once a year at most of their stores, dates vary by store, check out their website if interested. Williamsport store is August 24 this year and you must preorder by noon of the 24 th. $119.00/half bushel, $199.00/bushel. $3.50 each for lesser quantities. I already have my order in for a bushel. You can get them live or pre steamed.

Best part is they have J.O. I'm looking forward to a day of drinking a few Yuengling's and eating some MD blue crabs.
Loggy likes this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:39 PM

If you're traveling down to south Jersey there is a place on rte 47 called Haase's . The guy is a crabber that sells direct to the public. They sell a spicy garlic seasoning that is out of this world. On another note the crabbing in the back bays of the Jersey shore has been really good. We caught a pile of them 2 weeks ago.
Loggy and Uncle Nicky like this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:54 PM

Oddly enough, my coworkers and I were discussing this last week. I'd never heard of J.O. before, but I put Old Bay on just about everything. They gave me some J.O. to try, and I found it way too salty (from someone who enjoys excessive salt). Might be better on actual crabs, but I haven't had any of them for a few years so I can't say.
Loggy likes this.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
Wegman's has crab fest once a year at most of their stores, dates vary by store, check out their website if interested. Williamsport store is August 24 this year and you must preorder by noon of the 24 th. $119.00/half bushel, $199.00/bushel. $3.50 each for lesser quantities. I already have my order in for a bushel. You can get them live or pre steamed.

Best part is they have J.O. I'm looking forward to a day of drinking a few Yuengling's and eating some MD blue crabs.
Been to the Williamsport Wegmans many times while working in the area. Didn't realize they had the crab fest. Thanks for the info.
simoncool likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Got a new Bayou Classic high out propane dual burner into operation to handle my crab steaming. Mrs is elated to keep this process out of the kitchen!! lol

bigguy54 likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Banned

Loggy, you might want to put newspaper on top of your pot and tuck it in and then put the lid on. It prevents the condensate from washing the spices off the top layers f crabs.
Loggy likes this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Loggy, you might want to put newspaper on top of your pot and tuck it in and then put the lid on. It prevents the condensate from washing the spices off the top layers f crabs.
Thanks John. I had covered but opened up for the photoshoot!!

Have an even higher output (200,000btu) burner ready to try a Gas One which may put to test next week. Sometimes I have 2-3 bushels on the go with very hungry people so need all the firepower I can get!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 08-10-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page