Fishing Brigantine NJ Piers or Surf - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Fishing Brigantine NJ Piers or Surf

Anyone ever fish the subject area of NJ? Is there a pier there to fish off that is open to the public? How is the surf fishing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No fishing pier, there is a jetty at the south end. There is access to drive on the beach with proper permit required. Just like the rest of the NJ coast, the quality of the fishing is dependent on what species you are targeting and if its in the area at that time.

Good luck, Tony
uncle buck likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Part of the Community

As stated there is a Jetty to the south and across the way there's the Jetty's in AC. Fishing the rocks themselves hold an abundance of tog. The inlet side will hold striper, blues, and flounder along with the ocean side. All depends on time of year and if you're there at the right time. The gator blues should be making a return very shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

What about in May timeframe?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:52 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
What about in May timeframe?
Depends what time I'm sure stripers and bluefish will be there but I'm not sure what sizes of those fish will be. If its after May 25 you're allowed 3 flounder at 18" and I know that inlet holds fish. Quite a few decent fish caught from land.
uncle buck likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:10 AM

what kind of gear does one need to fish there?

"one hand clapping" mork from ork
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:08 PM
Part of the Community

Depends what I'm fishing for. If I'm togging in the rocks I have my Calcutta 201GT with 30lb power pro with a 25lb flouro leader on a 6'6" St Croix Tide Master MH with fast action. Basically that's so when you hook a tog you can horse them in before they put you in the rocks. for this I normally take a 1-2oz bank sinker on a dropper loop then about 4-8 inches above a Size 1/0 or 2/0 baitholder hook with live/cut green crab. My spinning set up is Penn Battle 2000 with 15lb mono on a 7' Tackledirect blank M action. I've targeted flounder off the rocks before and just used my normal tap dancer rig. Basically some bucktails 1-3 oz depending on how the tides running paired with some gulp. I do suggest when you're down there going to One Stop Bait and Tackle the owner has a TON of info for you. He helped me out first time I went. Other then that if you have like studded wading boots they help the rocks can be slippery or the yaktrax you put on your boots ice fishing give you the extra grip on the rocks.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I will visit a bait shop to see what they are hitting. Sounds like I need to fish the inlet.
When I fish Cape May NJ. I did well on catfish Shad that you get in Walmart. They have a black dot on the tail.

Is there any good places to eat around Brigantine?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Part of the Community

Not sure about Brigantine I normally don't make it that far north but in AC Whitehouse Subs is a must go probably my favorite cheesesteak place outside of Philly. I'd leave the walmart bait at home and buy fresh down there. I'm more familiar with Somers Point/Sea Isle for food.
uncle buck likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
Anyone ever fish the subject area of NJ? Is there a pier there to fish off that is open to the public? How is the surf fishing?
I was there Mother's Day weekend. Friday and Saturday. Fished AC Friday 3:30am and early Saturday. Had one big blue break off. Went to Brigintine jetty in afternoon Saturday.You can walk out there and not buy the permit from residential areas. Saw one 36 inch Striper caught on whole clam. I tried bunker with no bites..Blues not heavy but around those two days. Most local gurus go at night on the AC jetties and clear out by day break. Seems like that is when the bite is better.You can go to Riptide bait shop on Brigintine or go to One Stop bait in AC on Atlantic ave.Rough looking area, but had no issues up there yet. New boardwalk up at that end also.People like to surf and jet ski in front of the Brigintine jetty since the waves are bigger there so that can be anoying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page