Raystown stripers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Raystown stripers

Iím heading to raystown this spring in search of stripers I have been reading everything I can about them I have a boat was wondering if anyone would have any advice on fishing raystown I know it is a difficult lake to fish from past expierences fishing there but I know itís not impossible to catch them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 12:22 PM

I am in the figuring out stages myself. It is the most tight lipped fishery I have ever encountered. A lot of people recommend going with a guide just to learn some of the ropes. I found some fish last year, with good electronics that part is fairly easy. All my gear is bass/walleye size and I struggled upsizing my presentations to striper size.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for replying I have been out with a guide and guess what we didnít catch any lol so I just decided to try it myself figure I canít do any worse than that I have the gear I have access to bait just donít really have any understanding of what to do when I get there .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:17 PM
The Man

You need to get a cast net (legal size), learn to use it, get on the water in the dark, use a light to attract the alwives, cast the net and catch a bunch. The container should be round that you put them in. A tank with corners, and they will continue to "bump" their noses until they are red. Stripers won't hit one with a red nose. Alwives are very delicate. A good tank has a bit of salt in the water and some form of cooling to keep them chilled. Best to check with one of the bigger local bait shops for the right formula You should have downriggers, but you can improvise on that a bit. When you locate fish on the fishfinder, troll VERY slow with the bait at the depth of the fish. At times the stripers can be very shallow and caught on lures trolled about 100 to 150' behind the boat. They are a very hard fish to catch without a lot of preparation. BUT, no sooner will that be said, than some kid with a SpongeBob Squarepants rod and reel will catch one right of the dock!!!LOL. Enjoy the lake. It's beautiful, but be very careful onshore. Lots of rattlesnakes in certain spots
Jkitner likes this.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:26 PM
The Man

How about a Seth Green rig in lieu of down riggers ?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the info I do have down riggers I plan on heading up weekends in April and May after Iím done turkey hunting ! So I will get to the lake around 1 I plan to start by trolling until evening then finding a shallow point to set up for the night. Hopefully this works out just gonna keep lines baited and cover lots of water till I find something
simoncool likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 10:50 PM
The Man

Just an after thought: if you get a cast net, be sure to get a permit for it. Permits are lake specific, so one for Raystown can't be used on any other lake.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'll be at the lake sometime in April,depending on the weather, most likely will be there for two weeks. I'll be camped at point camp, and this boat will be parked in the inlet opposite side of the point from beer barrel bay. Pull in beside it, and inquire with most anyone in the campground that is camped in the 130's lot no's and they will know who owns this boat. If you see it on the lake pull up and I will tell you everything I know and a lot of what I don't know. You can get bait at Smittie's bait shop on the way in to the dock at 7 points, he usually has trout ,large shiners,and sometimes suckers,or you can bring along some creek chubs from home. If you have a cast net, as Gentleben suggests they are the best, also don't overlook bluegills as bait, there not hard to catch on the lake with a small crappie jig with a small piece of nightcrawler on the hook.
The first striper I ever caught on my own boat was on a bluegill. Striper fishing to me can be frustrating,but if you hook one, hold on and you will be hooked for life. I would suggest that if you don't know the lake and or don't have a structure map that you don't use your downriggers, the lake has a lot of under water standing timber that cause some real problems with downriggers I seldom use mine for Striper,there are better ways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My boat with dad on rear deck.jpg (444.5 KB, 26 views)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 10:37 AM

I went out on Raystown a couple times with well know guides. The bait of choice was small trout and alewives. We trolled with planer boards. All the sporting goods stores in the area usually have the bait you will need.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the good info guys and I will defiantly keep an eye out for your boat I know. The one down fall I am already facing is the fact I donít have an electric motor my boat is to big and it would require a lot of money to find one that would push it and my wife has already said Iíve spent to much on gear already lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page