Fishing near Wildwood NJ - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Birch812

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Fishing near Wildwood NJ

I am taking the whole gang to Wildwood NJ the first week in August, ex-wife,kids,grandkids. I am going to need an "escape" at least once or twice during the week! I'm just looking for some fishing tips,locations,etc. I haven't been there for a few years. Also,where is the nearest driveable town with a fishing pier?

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:56 AM

North Wildwood has a free fishing pier at the base of the rt 147 bridge, it is actually half of the old bridge. They catch fluke, weakies, throw back stripers and blues from the bridge.
If you were thinking about a party boat trip the only boat I would go out on is the Porgy IV in Cape May. The Wildwood boats only run 4 hr trips and are not worth the time and money.
There are a lot of boat livery's that rent fishing and crabbing boats but your best bet with the group your taking might be Pier 47 located just across the bridge leaving Wildwood, they rent pontoon boats that will hold 10 people.

If you need any other information where to fish or good places to eat let me know. I spent all summer as a kid down there and have owned a home in the Crest for the past 35 years.
Wildwood has changed a lot....mostly for the better.
Enjoy
Birch
bigguy54 likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Birch. Actually,when I said I needed an "escape",I meant from the rest of my gang! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:39 PM

From the surf you could fish for kingfish during the day. You could fish for brown sharks at night from the surf. I use to fish off the bridge to Stone Harbor (next town north) at night and catch blues, weakfish and stipers on fin-S and bass assassins.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 06:47 PM

Enjoy
Birch[/quote]

could you elaborate on how Wildwood is getting better I have been going to the shore for over 50 years and was just down at the crest for the last week. There appears to be more drugs and crime reported in the papers down there.

Life Member NRA
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8768 View Post
Enjoy
Birch
could you elaborate on how Wildwood is getting better I have been going to the shore for over 50 years and was just down at the crest for the last week. There appears to be more drugs and crime reported in the papers down there.[/QUOTE]

Have owned a house down in the Crest for the past 36 years and started spending the whole summer in North Wildwood when I was 5.
Drugs have gotten bad all over and if you read the local paper most of the drug arrests are people vacationing from New York, North Jersey and the suburbs around Philly.
By changing for the better I mean 99% of the sweat-box flop houses are gone, the entire Wildwoods no longer close down after Labor-day but have many events during the fall that draw crowds that bring in as many people as the July 4th weekend.
They have the nicest, safest beaches in the state. Even most businesses on the boardwalk stay open till Columbus Day, but beaches are not protected past the weekend after Labor Day still.
Fishing wise you have a lot of options to catch a lot of fish, problem is with regulations fluke are running around a 25 to 1 ratio of keepers and seabass most of the summer season is closed or limited to 2 legal sized fish.
Fall surf fishing is good and party boats are not crowded during the week.

Don't judge it by what you read but how nice of a time you had when you were there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:42 PM
The Man

Full power is now back on for the outer banks south of Bonner Bridge

I gotta go agitate the techies!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page