VA Beach/Sandbridge in June - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

VA Beach/Sandbridge in June

I'm not much of a saltwater fisherman but since I'll be there for a week in June, I'll be doing some fishing instead of just sitting on the beach getting sunburn. Any suggestions ? I'd like to buy the rigs and lures etc I need here before we go. I have heavy catfish rods to use but not much in the way of saltwater rigs. What should I buy? Is there any place specific I should fish? I was reading that there is a pier close by but it's pretty shallow even out at the end. Any tips for the inlet ? Where else should I try ? Just looking to catch some fish. I'm not too picky about what kind.

"Into every generation a slayer is born... a chosen one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:04 PM
clc
Part of the Community

Re: VA Beach/Sandbridge in June

I can't comment on fishing that beach specifically but what are your catfish rod setups? I have 2 12 foot rods for throwing bait and one 9 foot med action I use for throwing lures. I haven't caught any big fish but I would personally stock up on proper hooks, swivels, leader, weight etc. now by ordering online. For lures I would stock up on bombers, jigs/plastics, spoons etc. also from online vendors. I tend to use lures since it's less messy and always use a teaser fly.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

I've got four 8 foot spinning rods. 2 medium heavy 1 heavy and 1 big enough to handle 50 pound line. Im assuming by bomber you mean the long A'S. What do you think about Gotcha lures? Are there any bait rigs you like?

"Into every generation a slayer is born... a chosen one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:42 PM
clc
Part of the Community

I cant comment on the Gotcha lures and I would be curious how to fish them myself. The Bombers I use are the Bomber long A's with 2 trouble hooks but make sure any terminal tackle you buy is saltwater rated. Ill also use spoons such as Acme or Deadly dick, buck tails/soft plastics or some sort of top water lure. A lot will depend on wind and surf conditions and dont be afraid of trying different things in regards to speeds of retrieve. The Gulp scented plastics are big for surf fishing if you plan on using jigs. Regardless of what lure you use try to "match the hatch" so ask around at the baitshops/online reports for what is biting what.

Bait wise will depend on season and what your fishing for but I usually use a simple fish finder rig. A High/Low rig is also another option and this would be a good one if you can tie a dropper loop. If you are fishing in a crab infested area you'll need to get your bait up so you will need a rig with floats. you can tie all these yourself or buy them when you get to the beach.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page