Massachusetts Mako Bowfishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Massachusetts Mako Bowfishing

The family and I planned a small vacation to "The Cape" in which I planned to do some shark fishing with my uncles which required me to upgrade to heavier bowfishing gear that included carbon impregnated shafts with Innerloc Gator Grapple heads, 400# bowfishing line and increasing the weight on my Mission Craze Bowfishing rig to 50#.

We got all packed up Thursday night and made it to New Bedford, Mass. Friday morning where we toured the whaling museum and hit up some historic sites and such. We were set to leave the dock at 6am Saturday Morning, but I received a text from the Caption saying that he wanted to leave at 5am so we could get a head start on chumming before the other boats got out on the water for the shark tournament that was occurring the same day.

Watching the sunrise coming up over the North Atlantic while blowing across the waves came with an early morning chill and I was happy I packed a hoodie. Once we found ideal water temperatures we started to set out a chum slick that was composed of freshly ground haddock, frozen buckets of haddock (Chumsickles), and a rack of tuna that we had tied to the boat, which looking back on it, wasn't the best idea considering there are 18' 2800# Great Whites in the waters that JAWS made famous.

For bait, we took some 20-25" fish and filleted them. In order to control the depth of the bait, lead weights and balloons were attatched to the line in order to keep the bait weighted down, while the balloons were added to the line at either 30' or 50' to keep the bait suspended at different depths in the water column.

About an hour into the drift, we had a Mako approach the chum slick and I was able to take a perfect shot on him with the bow about 10' off the port side while standing up on the bow of the boat. I had upgraded my AMS bowfishing reel into the "BIG GAME" model so I could get total detachment of line from the reel because while shark bowfishing you tie into a deep sea rod for the fight, but having spined him, the fight was minimal.

We took pictures and then tail roped him and hung him off the side of the boat. In Massachusetts you have a 1 shark, per boat, per day limit so we put the bow away and kept to Rod/Reel fishing the rest of the day.

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Massachusetts Mako Bowfishing

In total we caught 3 Makos, which is a great day because most times catching 1 mako doesn't happen or takes all day. The 2nd Mako came in tail-wrapped and ended up releasing himself at the boat. I'm not sure if the hook pulled out or if he bit the line, I was battling a little bout of seasickness and didn't get a good view at the action at the rear of the boat.

The 3rd Mako was a little ripper, he put up a good 30 minute fight.

Before we sped back to the dock, I had to get my customary photo with the "Terrible Towel", it travels with me everywhere I go and I think its just a neat thing to incorporate into my travels.

When we returned home, we processed the Mako and a Blue Fin Tuna we were given. Considering I didn't want to put my bow into the jaws of a 7' 200# shark while in 46 miles off the coast in 190' of water, I waited until I got home to get a picture of my bow in his jaws. I think it turned out neat.

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

Nice!

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Awesome experience, I'm sure!

Great pictures!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 08:09 PM

Super deal. Having bowfished the salt as well, it is a great experience. Congrats to you on the bow Mako!

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Awesome
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice adventure. Congrats!

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:03 PM

great Trip. Can you share the Captains name? Do you mount your own jaws or send them out?

PSU '79, '82

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page