Cape May- Bay side - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Cape May- Bay side

Can anyone give some tips on shore fishing the Delaware Bay (from the Cape May side) during the summer? Whats biting? Flounder? Blues? I usually fish the surf but this time will be bay side. Any help is appreciated.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4- Christ died for our sins, was buried and rose again the third day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:19 PM

Re: Cape May- Bay side

They fish off the beaches and jetty's along the bay from the ferry's at the canal up past the Villas. Different months bring different fish. Now its blues, short stripers with an occasional keeper. Do not hear many legal fluke caught but they do get nice weakies once and awhile.
In August croaker's show u but the best times for jetty fishing is spring and fall.
Contact one of the bait shops like Jims in Cape May or Off The Hook along the Ocean Drive before the toll bridge going over to Cape May from Wildwood.
If you need any specific information let me know.
Good Luck

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 12:53 AM

about the only thing to work with when fishing off the shore are jetties.
once you get up past the ferry terminal its hard to find deep water close enough to shore to be fishable.
small blues,short stripers ,weakfish and croakers can be found.
when the water warms up you can even find some flounder in close.
the biggest factor in success is fishing the tides correctly.
a slack tide and cut bait on the bottom will produce alota skates and dogfish

Da hawk ate my baby!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:29 AM

I've spent 15 years trying to learn the bay side of Cape May. Kind of hard to pattern out when you only get there for 3 or so small trips a year.

If you want to go for weakfish and legal fluke, go early and use 1 oz. jig heads with gulp curly tail grubs or similar. When I was getting out to the sand the one morning (7 AM?), I watched 2 guys walking back with 2 massive weakfish and one very nice fluke. I tried to pick their brains and from what it sounds like, They stay mobile, working their way down the beach at the butt crack of dawn pitching the jigs and using a slight twitch, slow and steady retrieve.

If fluke are present you'll know. They were stacked up in the ferry terminal jetty 4 years ago and I used my smallie tackle, crushing them on white tubes with my wire weedguard jig heads. I was getting my hits by casting along the jetty, about 5 feet off and bumping it along parallel. If you don't have good weedguard jig heads you'll spent most of your time retying though. Since that year, I'll get a small fluke here or there but they haven't been there in numbers.

If you're just looking for action, watch the croaker crew on the jetty. Bottom rigging and small hooks (size 4 at the most). They'll use short casts off the jetty with a small weight, and 2 hooks off the bottom rig, with fresh shrimp or clam for bait. They do catch a lot of croakers.

Agreed that cut baits, bottom rigs off the sand (Sunset beach) will pretty much limit you to dogfish and skates. With small hooks you can still luck into a fluke or weakfish here and there with this method, and it is pretty easy to cast out, stick your rod in a stake and relax.

Aside from that, I just started dabbling into shark fishing for brown sharks last year. Landed one around 3 feet and lost a hoss that broke a piece of tackle. Used a #10 circle octopus hook, steel leaders, and half a croaker. Only catch is, the bait is so heavy it needs to get paddled out by my cousin on a small kayak.

Going in 3 weeks - can't wait!

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM

if its warm enough during the high tide the flounder set up off the low tide break.
you want to fish it going out . low light times as mentioned are the best and casting parallel to the low water break will be most productive.
ive got them on really small(1/4oz or less)bucktails with curly tail grubs small swim baits on a jig head and even by dragging live minnows.
fish slow.
the same jigs can catch weakies on the jetties again fish slow and parallel.
colors can vary day to day,but white yellow red and pink combs are standard
in most cases when fishing the bay shore you want to cover ground ,
the fish tend to spread out in an area and patrol

if your looking to bait fish your best bet is floating bloodworms under a bobber around jetties for weakfish

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:41 PM
clc
Part of the Community

Several weeks ago I fished poverty beach and the lighthouse. Lots of big blues and bass. Only managed one fish myself on a bomber.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info guys.

Wampire what lb test you use for browns?

1 Corinthians 15:1-4- Christ died for our sins, was buried and rose again the third day.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 11:53 AM

prob not big enough...

1. 25 lb. test main line

2. Metal crimp sleeve to 5 feet of 100 lb. test shock leader (to hold up to tail thrashing when you get them into shallow water)

3. metal crimp sleeve from shock leader to steel bottom rig with large snap at bottom for pyramid sinker.

4. 16 inches of 50lb. test steel for heavier leader, crimped to a loop on both ends. Loop a #10 or 11 octopus circle hook to one end of the leader, and attach the other loop to one of the wire loops that is attached to the bottom rig.

Real shark dudes use heavier stuff I believe, and know how to do it much better. Last year, I used one component from a catfish bottom rig that had a thick molded plastic loop that I attached my hook leader to. Needless to say, a solid 4 foot plus shark took my bait, I slowly tightened my drag, got the hook set and when he made his first big run, it sliced right through the plastic loop like butter.

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Part of the Community

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtdaE_XFEW4
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 01:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

Wampire - You didn't mention the fish you found on the rocks on the jetty two years ago. Easy fishing that way.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page