Lure fishing in the surf. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
clc
Part of the Community

Lure fishing in the surf.

Anyone dedicate significant amount of time using lures in the surf? Mid may I have a trip to Cape May and a couple trips to Assateague island may/june. I have a handful of bucktails, spoons and bombers. I'm thinking of picking up acme cast masters in 1-2oz, couple more bombers and some packs of those plastic swimbait's. I have a melting pot so I can pour some more heads and tie a few more bucktails. What are some good plastics I could try? I have a few teaser flies and could tie those myself even. What would be a good teaser fly hook? I use a 9 foot rod with Penn reel spooled with I believe 20lb test. Also, I have my 4 wheel drive pass for AI. I believe I have my basics covered and I intended to focus more on lure Fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lure fishing in the surf.

You'll likely have opportunities for striper and bluefish in May. Your cast masters will be fine, along with the bombers, or the bucktails. Just move until you find fish. I have had incredible success in the NC and Assateague surf with flounder, trout, drum, striper, and bluefish with a 1/2 - 3/4 oz lead heads and a 3-4 gulp shrimp, gulp paddle tail, or gulp swimming mullet. Just a slow bump and go retrieve has caught me a lot of fish over the years. Last time I did that in Assateague I caught 26", 25", 24", 22", 18" flounder in a few hours of walking and casting.

ďThose who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not.Ē - Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:18 AM
Sage

You might want to try watching some of John Skinner's videos on YouTube. He gives some good info on Striper fishing. Flounder fishing too. He's written several books on the subject. Just enter "striper fishing with John Skinner."

Also, if you're gonna surf cast, you should have a rod you can cast comfortably for the multiple times you're gonna throw those lures out there. Good luck.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
clc
Part of the Community

Great advice guys. What colors do you prefer for plastics? Do you have a specific jig head style that you prefer? I'm using a Daiwa "custom classic" 9 foot medium rod and Penn 5000 reel for surf casting and haven't had any problems with it yet.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Sage

White plastics for stripers. Pink plastics for weakfish. I just use round lead heads for jigs. Dark colored Bomber lures for night/ lowlight conditions. Light colored Bombers for daytime. Metal lures for Bluefish but they will hit just about anything you can toss out there.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
clc
Part of the Community

After reading about the Gulp plastics and bait I've been real interested in trying them out. Any more tips on using them? After reading it seems a easy way to store them is get one of the 12oz buckets and throw some from the packets into the bucket. Would the colors bleed you think? I placed an order for castmasters in 1 and 3/4 oz, castmasters in 1 oz but with red tube and a couple deadly dicks. Ill order up a bunch of Gulp plastics next.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:57 PM

The white or pink gulp keeps well in the pouch they come in.
I also have brought it in a plastic jar with scent attractions like shredded oil and used it the next season and was as good as new.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
clc
Part of the Community

I read some say the bags leak and that the scent liquid eats through even a zip lock bag. The rig I plan to use is. Line-swivel-line-lure but Im going to tie a 3 inch piece of line to the swivel and attach a teaser fly. My ability at tying drooper loops are poor so this might work for me. I also use a clip at the end of my line to change lures quickly. Thanks for the tips I'm going to use them.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:11 AM
Sage

You might want to look into T-Turn swivels. It's a 3 way swivel, you attach the main line to one end, your leader to the other end and your teaser in the middle. The middle one allows your teaser to spin completely around your line and not get tangled. Also, I would make the teaser line about 6 inches long.

I've never seen a gulp bag leak. If they did, they would leak on the shelf in the store.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
clc
Part of the Community

True I didn't think of that haha. What about tying the teaser as a trailer on the tail hook of a bomber or jig?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page