STATUS QUO FOR JERSEY FLUKE - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

STATUS QUO FOR JERSEY FLUKE

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">STATUS QUO FOR JERSEY FLUKE</span></span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Looks like the 5 fish at 18-inch limit will be staying the same in the Garden State.</span>

By <span style="font-weight: bold">Chris Lido</span>
Fluke regulations in New Jersey will stay the same at five fish at 18 inches in length. Despite ideas to of a split size limit in New Jersey, Tom Fote and Capt. Al Ristori confirmed that It will be status quo for N.J. fluke anglers, but the season will be set at the next Marine Fisheries Council meeting. New York had been pushing to go up to an 18 1/2-inch minimum in order to extend the season. Fote made an effort to have Delaware Bay made a separate zone to overcome the problem of having a mere 16 inch minimum in Delaware, but 18 inches in N.J. He said this caused Pennsylvania anglers to Delaware rather than Fortescue or Cape May in order to bag some smaller flounder/fluke for the table while fishing the same waters.

The disparity of N.Y. anglers having a higher minimum than those in N.J. fishing the same waters of Raritan Bay was the driving force behind the ASMFC forcing N.J. into regionalization with N.Y. and CT. last year, but there was so little sympathy with the same inequity in Delaware Bay that Fote couldn't even get a second in his effort to create a region to the south.

Fote noted that the new summer flounder assessment showed the species is overfished and overfishing is occurring in the north. Yet, he said our region didn't overfish its fluke quota last year. Some had been concerned that the 16-inch minimum allowed for shore fishermen at Island Beach State Park would have a big impact on the quota, but only a mere 176 such fluke were checked in there last year.

In an interesting side note, we are faced with a 33 percent cut in sea bass quota, and the combinations of 12 1/2-or-13-inch minimums with various bag limits and seasons will be presented to the Marine Fisheries Council for a decision.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Part of the Community

Re: STATUS QUO FOR JERSEY FLUKE

Well, at least they didn't go up. I do wonder about having all these seemingly high limit sizes for us 'regular' people, and have always wondered about how big that flounder originally was when I end up ordering it for dinner somewhere in Cape May. In the past couple years by the time I get to fish in July, all the flounder I land surf fishing are in the 12 inch range. Still fun though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page