Need help with Tampa FL trip - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
clc
Part of the Community

Need help with Tampa FL trip

My buddy is getting back from Afghanistan and I'm taking him back to Tampa early next month and I will have off 2 weeks for the trip. I need any and all help with fishing in and around Tampa. I figure we could do a good boat trip but I plan on taking my surf gear and freshwater gear. We don't have any real plans so you guys could be of real help! We are driving so I have roughly 1 week of driving down and back planed and a week in tampa. Any other things to see and do? I'm thinking we should take a trip to the glades at the very least. My buddy isn't a big fisherman so I hope to get some time on the water in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 PM
The Man

Re: Need help with Tampa FL trip

Hired a quide and did some inshore fishing in Tampa Bay back in the early 90's, Caught some snook, redfish and jack crevalle, it was not prime fishing season for snook but we did OK. Not sure what it's like in August for fishing. Of course there is Busch Gardens for fun if you like amusement parks.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
clc
Part of the Community

Any idea what would be in the surf early Aug? My plan is to take one good boat trip and see if I can wrestle a gator in the glades haha. But really my friend lives 30 min or so from the beach so I'm thinking surf fishing would be fun. Keep the ideas coming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Call Capt. TJ with Castaway Charters. He's REALLY good. Put us on some HUGE tarpon a while back!

http://castawaychartersinc.com/

Also, as far as surf fishing, get yourself some shrimp and head to Hurricane Pass (nude beach out there too ) you should find some pompano, snook, redfish and trout.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
clc
Part of the Community

Anyone know what to expect in the surf this time of year? Also, I was reading about fishing off the bridges any advice on that? Keep the idea coming guys I'm super excited.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
clc
Part of the Community

Thought I would share that we didn't have much luck. Only thing we caught were hardhead catfish, couple of rays and small snapper. We tried a bunch of stuff and I do feel if we had a little more time we could have done better.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Check Florida sportsmans web page. They have lots of good tips there.

Freshwater fishing is always great. If you can swing a guide try the stick marsh for bass.

Everglades holiday park has a great airboat tour.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Part of the Community

I fish Sarasota. Probably pompano,flounder,sea trout in surf. 8 foot rod is all you need, no 10's required. I used a lot of 4" Berkley gulp shrimp on 1/4oz jigheads. new penny or pearl white. You might also want to pick up some Pompano jigs, or small bucktails in white and tip them with squid strips. Just make sure the hooks aren't too big. Live shrimp is the best live bait. I use a 3/0 circle hook and VERY little weight. I learned a trick to keeping them on the hook. It requires biting off the tailfan. Ask one of the baitshop boys how to do it this way, It keeps the shrimp alive and on the hook better than any other way I've tried. If You feel like taking a drive, look up Captain Charlie At Fishin' Sarasota. He was awesomw. Phone is 941-266-0081. Best of luck. SS43

Remington:700x2,870,788
Ruger Redhawk 44,SP101.357
Marlin .22
NRA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
clc
Part of the Community

We tried a bunch of stuff from hi/lo rigs to just using a float. In general it seemed like when using shrimp they would get sucked up really quick by smaller fish and we didnt have much luck with mullet or squid. I hope to make another trip down when I get the chance. Things to remember for the next trip would be catching more of my own bait and using bucktails when fishing off the piers.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Use live shrimp not frozen. It stays on hook better.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page