OBX Tuna Haul!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

OBX Tuna Haul!!

Spent a wonderful day offshore out of Oregon Inlet, NC last week. Calm seas and hot tuna fishing in the fishing reports. Our crew had two boats chartered out of the fishing center. The Dream Girl and Strike Em. I was fishing on the Strike Em with Capt Lee at the controls and Mate Danny on the deck.

We were told to be there earlier than usual to get to the grounds early and so we pulled into the fishing center at 4:20 and we were in the ocean on our way by 4:45 for the 2 hour steam.

When the boat started to slow and the Capt yelled down to the mate, rig for tuna they are already busting, the adrenaline surged as the ballyhoo went out.

The fishing was fantastic with a 34 lb bull dolphin the first to hit then it was tuna after tuna over the rail with many double, triples and even a quad of yellowfins. You want to talk about a mad scramble on deck when you have four tunas hooked up and once.

It was amazing watching 70lb yellowfin crashing up on flying fish and rocketing 10 feet out of the water. The capt would swing toward them and line would peel from the reels as releases flew from the outriggers.

This is my nephew with a large tuna that I helped him bring to the gaff.

Me, getting in on the fun.

We ended the day early and stopped fishing at 11:30 with a full box of 40-70 lb yellowfins stuffed into the box and a bonus gaffer dolphin. The Dream Girl limited out before us and headed in at 11:00.

The life out there is unreal. Porpoises, pilot whales, sharks, flying fish and cobalt blue water. Surely a trip that I wish to do again, often.

Here is the gang with Capt Lee on the right end and Mate Danny in the middle in the blue shirt.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:00 AM
RB
Sage

Re: OBX Tuna Haul!!

AWESOME!! Hey Gene if we ain't careful we are going to fish that pond out

FYI, tuna steaks at the Food Lion in Avon were $15.50/lb

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:07 AM

That is quite a haul! Congrats! Some fine eating for sure. Do you eat it raw? I love fresh raw yellowfin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-HPA
FYI, tuna steaks at the Food Lion in Avon were $15.50/lb
Yep. Wild, USA caught yellowfin tuna is generally around $15lb. Our two boats yielded almost 500lbs of tuna loins for a market price of $7500. Not a bad haul for a days work!! Makes the $1855 charter a bit easier to swallow!!

Congrats on your haul as well!!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash Co_Archer
That is quite a haul! Congrats! Some fine eating for sure. Do you eat it raw? I love fresh raw yellowfin.
Sure do. We had tuna every way you could that night along with a few local craft beers! Ate it raw, marinated in lime juice, fried bits dipped in horseradish, grilled tuna and pan seared tuna.

I must admit, but the raw tuna, fresh from the ocean, is tough to beat. Everyone should try it once for sure. There is nothing better pulling a fresh tuna out of the ice, slicing off some fresh sashimi and throwing it down the hatch!!

Thanks!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 02:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats on a wonderful trip and catch
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 11:36 AM

Wow...great haul! I want to get on a tuna in a bad way. The wind this week kept us at the dock in Hatteras. Friday was nice but the weather was supposed to be even better Sat so my bud decided to wait. Bad move...storms and wind had it rough as heck. We caught 4 tiny dolphin and lost a gaffer. Had a sail tease a bait but didn't hook up. Buds kid got sick and we were back at the dock by noon. Shoulda went Friday...out of OI instead.

We packed up and headed north last evening. Home safe and sound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page