The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

OBX bound Friday!!

6K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  blackpowder 
#1 ·
After a year off, the annual extended family vacation is back on. Monday June 16th heading out to the gulf stream with Capt. Andy of the Good Times out of Hatteras Harbor..my 4 trip out with him.

Staying in Avon..will surf fish daily if nothing more than to see the sunrise and talk with God.

Lots to do both at work and home before we leave but hope to share my trip here.

#4 ·
Me too! Will be headed offshore out of Oregon Inlet on Tuesday. We have two boats booked for our party.

Surf fishing, the last few years has stunk for us. I think I will be watching sunrises and talking to god as well while drowning mullet and squid.

#6 ·
I was down last week. We limited out on puppy drum and grey trout, but struck out on cobia. There wasn't a whole lot of charter boat activity, but the ones we saw had nice catches of Mahi. The point is still closed, as is Hatteras inlet on both sides. The Piping Plovers must need all that space for their summer mating and hatching needs. You may experience some short delays when yo get to the temp bridge at Rodanthe. The eco-wackers have finally lost in their attempt to keep that from being built.

#7 ·
dpms said:
Me too! Will be headed offshore out of Oregon Inlet on Tuesday. We have two boats booked for our party.

Surf fishing, the last few years has stunk for us. I think I will be watching sunrises and talking to god as well while drowning mullet and squid.
EXACTLY what I do Gene, surf fishing ain't about the fish in June...i tried to get enough for two boats so we could have a little friendly competition, figured the captains would try to beat each other as well (our benefit) but not enough interest. So one boat, 6 anglers, likely 4 kids two adults.

BEST of trips and safest of travels...in 48 hours i will going to sleep before the drive. hard to believe it is that close already.

#8 ·
bownut said:
I'll be in Hatteras Wed/Sun next week. Big blue house straight across from Teach's Lair. Hoping for good weather so we can make it offshore in my bud's boat.
no kidding..we are in avon, but i seem to end upo in Hatteras alot. Sounds like a nice bud to have..
if you see the HPA mobile

#10 ·
gentleben said:
Don't forget to buy your fishing stuff at Frank and Fran's bait and tackle shop in Avon. If you go there and there's a nice young man working there, say hi to him. He's my nephew.
Will do i think they are right across the road from the house. What is his name? PM me.

#11 ·
RB-HPA said:
dpms said:
...i tried to get enough for two boats so we could have a little friendly competition, figured the captains would try to beat each other as well (our benefit) but not enough interest. So one boat, 6 anglers, likely 4 kids two adults.
At $1855 a pop out of OI, generating interest can be a challenge.

#12 ·
Yeah, they run $1300-1700 out of HH + 20% for mate and fish cleaning.

BUT, I can only sit in a beach chair for so long and watch waves before I have to hunt and gather down there. I can no longer justify driving all that way, being that close to a whole different world out there and not go out. This will be the 4th time with this Capt. and he never disappoints, seems catches are good right now, but would like to see more wahoo in the reports though. he must of found a grouper wreck or something causee they have been stopping there to get some 50+ pounders as they troll along.

GOOD LUCK GENE!

#16 ·
I'll several hundred miles south of you guys in Hilton Head next week. Won't be springing for an offshore trip with the inlaws (i'm the only outdoor guy) but I may take the family out on an inshore 1/2 day for trout/reds/flounder.

Looks like it is going to be a hot one next week...esp. towards the end. Calling for 99 deg. plus high humidity in SC on thurs/fri/sat.

Have a safe drive...

Anyone have any experience crabbing/fishing down at Hilton Head?

#22 ·
PICS Re: OBX bound Friday!!

We went out of Hatteras on Monday the 16th, we stopped 20 miles out when we hit the first dolphins. We ended up limiting on dolphins, tilefish, and amberjacks. Trolling was slow so we opted for some bottom fishing at the wrecks with trolling in between. Had baaracuda all around the boat when we were bring in the AJs which was really cool. We trolled between spots and got some gaffers dolphin and lost a couple others at hookup we did not ID.

What i love about Capt. Andy is he does just not pull baits around all day if it ain't a hot day for it, we had some great action trolling past the weed beds but not as much in the open water. We took in 300 lbs of fish, just 3 went out..Me, my oldest son and my wife. No one else wanted to spend a whole day out there,....That I will never understand
...waves hitting sand are cool for a day but then I got to hunt and gather. With 3 more anglers i think we could of got 30 more dolphins in that one spot.

Huge crowd at the docks when we got back, I think Our boat (Good Times) did the best others must of just stuck to trolling all day, they got some dolphin. These little kids wanted to carry our fish to the filet shed so bad..they loved it.

3rd time out deep on the Good Times, 3rd time the scale of our take was right around 300. We did an in shore with him once to and limited on spanish macks...

I will NEVER come down here again and not go out with Andy.

#23 ·
bownut said:
dpms said:
We got a limit of 40-75 lb yellowfin tuna and were back at the dock by 1:00. Great day in the deep blue.
Do you know how far out you were and which way? North or south out of inlet? We may trailer up there instead of going out of hatteras inlet.
bownut, is your buddy with a house there from DuBois???

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.