Last party boat striper trip of the year... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Last party boat striper trip of the year...

I have a charter booked for Wednesday, but I couldn't resist one more shot on a party boat. Apparently neither could anyone else as all the boats were jammed. Still managed to get a decent spot close to the port stern where I like to fish from so I can get a good flip out away from the boat.

The boat headed out towards the tip of Sandy Hook, and it was easy to see where the fish were biting because the bay looked like the marina with all the boats anchored up. We started off not far off the Romer Shoal Light, and I actually saw a guy alone in a porta bote (the folding ones http://www.porta-bote.com/ ) and a little tiny outboard out there. Crazy if you ask me.

Good wind, and incoming tide, started off with a slow but steady striper bite. Most people using the boat supplied clams, but a couple brought fresh cut bunker. Pretty soon the bunker folks started hooking up with bluefish. Captain and the mates suggested they switch to clams but to no avail. Blues like to run left and right which eventually leads to tangles no matter how much you walk. Once the blues came in thick the Striper bite shut down. Not a single Bass was caught on bunker, and the blues barely touched the clams.

Probably a dozen keeper Bass on the boat today. Lots of blues, and of course half the people who caught them didn't want them. We took two because my buddies aunt likes them. Thankfully the asian customers were game to take some.

I managed one Striped Bass early on the first stop before the madness started. Took home the pool again $95 its almost like I'm getting paid to go fishing lately!

Arms out pic...

More realistic photo...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Last party boat striper trip of the year...

very nice
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looks like a great day fishing

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 11:08 PM

Was out Sunday anchored up on the knoll. Hit the outgoing in the afternoon. Quite oppisite. Everything came on bunker. Shucked some clams but only a few blues on them. Nice fish.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice striper!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page