Backcountry Outfitters , Pagosa Springs Colorado.. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Backcountry Outfitters , Pagosa Springs Colorado..

Anyone have any input on their experiences with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Backcountry Outfitters , Pagosa Springs Colorado..

I hunted with them back in 98 as my highschool graduation/Eagle Scout present from my parents. I went on the backcounty muzzleloader hunt in the weminuche wilderness. My dad planned this hunt out for about two years as it took some preference points to draw that tag. When we booked I was supposed to be guided by the outfitter himself but the summer before my hunt he ended up having knee surgery and could not go on the hunt. There were 3 hunters on the hunt, 2 brothers were with one guide and I had the other. Neither of the guides knew much about elk hunting or calling. Most days we didn't even leave camp until 830-900 because they couldn't catch the horses (they would run off every night) One morning while we were riding out to hunt we jumped an elk in the timber and I was able to get off my horse and take a running shot at it, I missed and that was the only bull I saw on the trip. They had us all hunting together (stupid) and the only bull they did call in was missed by one of the other guys. Finally towards the end of the week long hunt one of the two brothers went hunting on his own and killed a 4x4 bull. The last morning of the hunt they gave me the option of helping pack out his elk or hunting alone, I went on my own and ended up spotting and stalking a 4x3 mule deer. If you couldn't guess I was not thrilled with my experience there even though I did have a successful hunt.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for your input. I am planning a hunt with this outfitter but will not be using a guide. We will be hunting private land, with excellent public land access and mostly a do it yourself hunt but we'll be staying in a remote cabin instead of a wall tent. Also no horses this time around as we're taking my 86 yr old father-in-law along. It isn't my first hunting trip to Colorado. You mentioned it was 15 years ago that you hunted with them. I believe things are a little different today. I appreciate you sharing your experiences. I think you should have complained to the "boss" immediately about the late starts and the horse issues. In the end you wised up, did things your way and you guys were still successful in spite of the substitute guides. That is often what it takes to overcome a bad situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 AM

Here's a pic of my friend on his second trip there.

2 times on a drop camp 1 cow 1 bull early muzzleloader.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We did complain to the boss, David. But by the time we saw him our hunt was over. I don't think there was much he could have done at that point, but I will say it was a pretty long tense ride back from the trailhead to his lodge. I probably didn't complain as much as I should have but it was my first time out west and I didn't know what to expect.

Good luck on your hunt with them, I hope you are successful.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 PM
The Man

FYI

Forum posts about Backcountry

Outfitter review

Outfitter Review

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sounds familiar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page