Big Paw Outfitters New Brunswick Canada You Judge - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Big Paw Outfitters New Brunswick Canada You Judge

My Bear hunting experience in New Brunswick Canada at Big Paw Outfitters.

Arrive on Sunday afternoon unload gear shoot bow, post 14 hour drive.
Monday 09:00 breakfast meet guides shoot bows and talk with fellow hunters. 14:00 Dinner then 15:00 out to stands sit in stand for 4.5 hours see nothing but squirrels. 21:00 back to camp had Tuna fish sandwiches talked to fellow 5 hunters. 1 Hunter stated he saw 7 bears nothing big. (Over 120lbs) everyone else saw nothing.
Tuesday 09:00breakfast 14:00 dinner out to stands by 15:00 placed in new stand. Moose hunters scouting approx 150 yards away in wood can hear them talking “A” see nothing back to camp by 21:00. Tuna fish sandwiches. Two hunters hit small bears one back to camp approx 100lbs. One bear left in woods till morning guide wanted to get back to camp.
Wednesday we go out in morning to find bear, we find bear ¾ devoured by coyotes. We go back to camp have breakfast. Meet new Moose hunters that arrive one is a game warden from PA what’s the chances, then dinner at 14:00 out to stands back to first stand see two baby cubs approximate 25 lbs each no sow Back to camp 21:00 Tuna fish sandwiches. Fellow hunter hit small bear Guide wanted to get back to camp because he was going Moose hunting in morning so left blood trail after 35 yards.
Thursday Morning I and fellow bear hunters go back to find bear, we had to go on our own because guides all busy with moose hunters. Track bear half mile before losing blood trail. Back to camp eat dinner back to stands by 15:00 only one guide available so he runs out 5 hunters in Ford 150 extend cab not quad cab. Back to camp by 21:30 same guide had to pick us all up. Get back to camp and find moose hunters and owner seating around drinking wine. (No Moose or bears seen) Talk to my guide and ask what do I need to do to a least see a bear stated I would sit in stand all day if needed.
Friday guide returns 08:00 to say what barrels were hit, drops me off at stand 1.5 miles from camp at 09:30 sit in that stand all day with light rain and see nothing. Back to camp 21:30 Tuna fish sandwiches. All Moose hunters tag out. All bear hunters see nothing
Saturday all guides going to be too busy skinning moose only one guide left for 5 bear hunters. Guide states he is going to hang beaver for bear bait. Says if that doesn’t bring them in nothing will. So back to stand at 09:00 sit in stand till 19:30 (Dark) see only 6 very fat raccoons come in and move small logs and clean out barrel. Picked up by same guide and 5 other hunters in same small truck no one sees anything. Get back to camp and Moose hunters and owners sitting around drinking to best hunt ever at camp.
So you be Judge worth $ to go to this camp every again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Big Paw Outfitters New Brunswick Canada You Judge

I wouldn't go back. Did you get references before you booked? You need to talk to people who were successful and unsuccessful. I like going through a consultant to book my trips. Unless I know someone who was there. There is a sponsor on here Premier Hunting Adventures. I have used Bullseye Outdoors. It takes the guess work out of it and you most likely won't run into problems like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 PM

first i would have to know how much $ it cost u , but sounds like they are moose camp first , and for the tuna fish, that would have been a problem that we would have solved with the owner right then and there, all i can say is it pays to research hunting trips, me and my brother made the trip to new brunswick, 8 seasons in a row , back in the 90s we both took 6 bears in those 8 seasons, only one year we did not see a bear, cause of the high winds and rain, that outfitter, was darrlington hills , out of buisness now, sold it. but no i would not go back, i guess its a lesson learned the hard way for you, but at least u know better next time.but i would tell who ever u saw at hunting shows are were ever, of your bad time u had with them. they treated u bad, do the same. good luck next hunt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 PM
The Man

First thing you have to realize , is that everybody who goes to Maine or New Brunswick does not get a bear...You only hear from the guys that do...Many are unsuccessful.

Much of the hunting in NB is on public land...If the outfitter put his moose hunters in your hunting area, then I would have an issue with him...If it was just locals, then hey, that's life.

The part where all the guides were busy working on moose is not acceptable...The outfitter's job was to have guides to attend to your hunt......You should have confronted him right then and there.....I would contact him and demand some sort of compensation...No outfitter wants negative internet exposure.

As far as the hunt itself, hey you's saw some bears....Nobody running a fair chase outfit can guarantee you any more than the chance to see something...It is certainly not a basis to grade an outfitter on, especially in a negative manner....The service is....

And lastly...Did you have any tuna?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:42 PM

if you go bear hunting in canada your best time would be in spring
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Part of the Community

I second the spring hunt, but be sure to have a bugsuit or at the least a facenetting or mask. blackflies will drive you insane
bohunr likes this.

bag it, tag it,eat, sleep, repeat
home-jersey shore
camp-3a
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:10 PM

I have gone in the spring and my experiance was completely opposite of yours. I have another hunt booked for this spring. If you go in the spring you will definately want to take a thermacell along as well as a good bug suit. the week I was up 6 of the 7 hunters in camp shot bear and the 7th could have but passed on several 300 pounders. We were treated like kings. Moose steaks, lobtser, ham, freshly caught Salmon and a full spread of everything imaginable.

Life is like a coin, you can spend it anywhere you like, but you can only spend it once.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:18 PM

Big Ben you can be funny sometimes your ending was good...Ha Ha... Bear huntin is what it is huntin. Guides make it or break it. Outfitter i did in Maine fed us so good i gained 5 lbs. At night the snack stuff was like burgers st. sand. fries, she would (the cook) ask what we wanted after huntin great. Dinner was about 1 pm. breakfast was 8 am and the works and never endin coffee. ^hrs. on stand fall so bugs aren't as bad but still bad. Canada spring forget about it. Head net, tape long sleves to arms and tape pants to boots bad. !st. time up was diy so we ate good depended on ourselves good time. 2nd. stayed at camp won't say who but his outfit was a -0... That time wife was along and to see her disapointment in it pushed me over the edge . Saw this lamebrain at outdoor show last yr. wanted to get in his face in front of his stand and make a sean but again wife along and she controled me. Thanks for lettin me blow off alittle...later
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A little too much tuna fish for me! Where are the moose steaks?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 AM
The Man

I have numerous people that have hunted big paw with guide Kevin over the last 5 yrs and ALL had a great time and ALL got bear or had a opportunity.
I am surprised to hear this.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page