Any moose recommendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Any moose recommendations

Does anyone have a recommendation for a moose outfitter preferably in Maine or Canada? Any details or pics your willing to share would be highly appreciated.

-"of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy" --

William Sherwood Fox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any moose recommendations

Myself and fellol HPAer went to Newfoundland in October. We hunted with Conne River Outfitters. I took a beautiful Woodland caribou and a 9 pt Moose. My partner took a beautiful 17 pt moose. It was hard hunting with little game seen. Accomidations and guides were good, but the local hunting pressure took a toll on what we saw. Im sure there are better in Newfoundland.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 04:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats berksbownman! I shot a 4pt. in Newfoundland as well. I hunted with West Woods Outfitters and drove right to their lodge. With that said if you are looking for a trophy moose hunt try one of the outfitters that flys you in. No pressure from the locals and the moose are much bigger. On my trip I did see a 50"er the first day. We weren't able to get him before he went into the dark timber. If I went up again it would be with an outfitter that could fly me in. Two of my friends did both types of hunts and they scored on both the fly in and drive to. The fly in moose were much larger. As far as moose in Maine. If your lucky enough to draw I'd go with Turnpike Ridge Outfitters. Been putting in for years and someday I may get lucky. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 05:41 AM

I have hunted Newfoundland with both Roberts Outfitting and Red Indian Lake. Feel free to PM for details. Both were great places, but very different.

Don't let our differences defeat us.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 03:45 PM
New Arrival

Chumley

I'm looking at both outfitters you mentioned for a newfoundland moose hunt. If you can give me some additional information about both, I'd greatly appreciate it, please feel free to PM me, tried PMing you, but it wouldn't let me.
Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Victoria Outfitter and Lodge.
Been there twice. Pretty remote.
Access is by his vehicle about 2 hour drive down private road and then river crossing by raft to lodge.
All hunting is done up and down river by boat or canoe to your hunting area and then you get out and walk stopping to call and watch different areas.
You can get into some serious distance although most of it is not very hilly.
First time I got a woodland caribou but could not catch up with a bull moose that was with a couple cows. He played games with us for 3 days.
Second time I went up I shot a 4 point the first day.
Never thought about waiting for something bigger.
My nephew got a nice 10 point.
We ended up seeing all kind of moose that week.
My nephew also shot an average bear.
Whoever you pick try and time your hunt over the rut and pay attention to moon phase.
It also can rain extremely hard up there. All the hurricanes that go up the east coast end up dumping their rain there. We also got 6" of snow the last time I was there. Weather can go both extremes in October.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I used Next Ridge Outfitting in Newfoundland. The helo fly in hunts are expensive because they pay chopper time at about $2K/hr but you will get a big by newfie's standards bull. If you want a once and done northeast bull this will do it. I saw 20-30 moose each day. It is 2x1 unless you pay for 1x1. I didn't know the other hunter but it was his 7th consecutive year hunting with them.

Shane Mollon I "think" is still the owner and he is dead serious about providing a quality hunt. Bernie Besaw the lead guide is a well known character and probably has been written up in every hunting mag. He got an honest real kick (pun) shooting my flintlock, was shocked at the accuracy even he was able to attain with it, I was the 1st client with one.

A little background on the company ownership as I see it. When I hunted it was entirely through Shane. But when I flew out on the chopper I met Jim Shockey, wife, and film crew going in, ok fine. But some months/year later I was thumbing through a hunting magazine and I'm shocked when I see my own photo Courtesy Jim Shockey's Adventures, a what the heck moment. I found the NRO website didn't exist anymore and everything about the hunt was on Shockey's site. So today writing this I check again. I see now the NRO site is up again with apparently Shane as the contact but full of Shockey pictures and story. There is nothing on the Shockey site anymore about this hunt. I don't care one way or the other about it but just some background if you might be interested in the hunt.

http://www.nextridgeoutfitters.org/

http://www.lastminutehuntingandfishi...9/Default.aspx

And as I was copying the site links above I found Shane's albums and about the last 30 pics here are mine, all of them from the bull lying down before I shot.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1037058...utfitters2010#

My pics and a couple vids are here for the hunt. If you go mention Ed with the flintlock. Bernie WILL remember me, we had some special intense moments. In one of my videos below he alludes to it.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1077539...ckMoose201002#

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 11:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

Chumleyhunts, I'd like to hear about red Indian lake outfitters. I also could not pm you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page