where to go for a 150 plus whitetail - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

where to go for a 150 plus whitetail

where to go for your best chance at killing a 150 class whitetail with a gun, over the counter license, fair chase, actually seeing the class of buck you're after preferably under 4 grand and in the U.S.

Thanks.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: where to go for a 150 plus whitetail

Nebraska! !! But don't tell anyone. Lol
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 10:36 PM

There's a lot of variables. I know guys killing that class of buck in Ny on acreage they manage. J&S outfitters in Iowa pretty consistantly produces quality bucks. Enough so that I will be hunting the property next to them in 2 weeks hoping there buck like to wander. But if you book a hunt and pay $4k you are subject to weather variables and know refund. Find a good lease and manage yourself long term and you can hunt when the weather cooperates if your job allows. Leases in Nebraska , Ohio, Indiana and the Dakotas all have good potential. If your looking to spend a buck. If its once and done then I'd do one of the Dakota's.

Didn't vote for the husband. Not voting for the wife. #Liars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Allegheny County, PA

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Part of the Community

Eastern shore of Maryland. Dont know about western shore. Eastern has alot of good outfitters. I know guys who hunt there every year and pass on 150 class bucks. But they have put in time there.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

they use an outfitter or go on their own. if they used an outfitter would you mind passing the name on to me.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 01:17 AM

As Chester said J&S has a long history of quality deer hunting in both Iowa (draw tags) and Missouri which would be exactly what you asking for - over the counter tags - quality deer and under $4k. They only take limited rifle hunters each year and rifle is primetime rut which helps also. This year is a very off year in the midwest - rut running 2-3 weeks later than normal - while big bucks are around EHD has had an exteme effect on upper age class deer. They are still there but not nearly as plentiful as in the past. One key thing to remember if your goal is to shoot a 150 class or better is to do your homework and know exactly what that caliber buck looks like and the age old saying of you cannot kill a 150 if you shoot a 130 first. I don't care where you hunt - that class of deer is not behind every tree regardless of the reputation of the place.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Texas

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

I FOUND ONE !!!! Monday morning I saw 9 different bucks. 6 were legal and 4 were SLAMMERS...big DEER.

the landowners son killed a nice 8 point with 9 inch or so G-2's that I pushed towards him while tracking a bigger buck my son hit.

we tracked the bigger buck thru the woods, it circled back and crossed thru the field and crossed the road. we knocked on two doors and got permission to continue to track it.

short story we pushed it to a father son duo, the son shot and killed it with 3 more shots. it was a bigger 8 point with more mass probably close to 130 or slightly better.

while tracking it, it crossed a creek, that's where I slipped on a moss covered rock, fell in the water and broke a finger...OUCH.

before I got out of my treestand to help my son, I stood up, stretched and that's when I saw the deer I had been looking for and am willing to pay an outfitter to get.

when I stretched, I should have looked around one more time before getting up. two bucks...and 4 doe had crossed the road and field behind me to my right and came thru the briars...suddenly they were right there and one small doe almost at my feet spotted me, snorted and the bruiser I wanted just bolted with out any hesitation.

he is a solid 8 point with MASS, dark tines (not horns) with polished tips..did I mention MASS and a nice spread. the mass continues on into the tines that are rather impressively TALL the G-2's are longer than the one the landowners son killed it lacks nothing.

at least I got to see it, I doubt it will come thru again but anythings possible. that is the only buck I am shooting this year unless its bigger brother wants to volunteer

we also kicked a much larger buck out of a brush choked ravine in a large field full of red brush and golden rod it jumped up and ran before we got close, I would guess we were at least 100 yards away when it took off and we could see the large rack from where we were.

best opening day in years.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Missouri is a good option because of the tag situation. NE has some great deer too, but they had EHD problems in some areas causing large deer losses. Regardless of where you go, you may be disappointed due to uncontrolled variables. I hunted Iowa last year in the shotgun season, saw 3 over 170". booked before leaving and drew a tag again this year. EHD hit the area pretty bad and they lost 50% of their deer this year. none out of the 6 hunters saw a deer over 130". Went with high hopes that were crushed, but that's hunting.

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page