Munsey's Bear Camp Kodiak Island Alaska - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Munsey's Bear Camp Kodiak Island Alaska

I hunted with Werner & Son's Backcountry Adventures last September. The hunt was unbelievable and even though I came home with tag soup I truly enjoyed the trip. I was supposed to return with them this fall but the trip fell through. Goat is still very high on my list and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on another goat hunt. This time with the Munsey's on Kodiak Island, Alaska. The hunt will take place in zone DG480 in Uyak Bay. I hunted out of Larsen Bay in 2007 for sitka blacktail which is also zone DG480. Has anyone had any experience hunting this zone for mountain goat? Any comments are welcome and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Re: Munsey's Bear Camp Kodiak Island Alaska

big 28. when i was on kodiak for goat and bear i heard nothing but good reports about munseys from the guides i hunted with. i hunted with brian peterson of ugak bay lodge and was very impressed with his operation. the only thing bad about kodiak goats is it is on a draw basis. i have heard the draw odds have gotten better recently as they have up'd the tag allotments. the one thing i do know is that if you draw a tag you should have no problem getting a goat. i saw 19 billies the day i shot my goat which was the first day of the hunt.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for your response! I was hoping to hear from a trusted source before I send my deposit. This trip ends up being my engagement present from my future wife. I pick her ring up next Thursday and am giving it to her on our Alaskan cruise in September. I am very lucky to have found my soulmate later on in my life. I never thought I'd marry again but the LORD works in mysterious ways. I hope my trip turns out like your. I'm not getting any younger and the BC goat hunt was brutal. I'll be in better shape for this one! Thank you and best of luck on your season! Stay safe and GOD bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 AM

kodiak goat hunting is not as hard as B.C. the hardest part about kodiak is the initial climb. you start out at sea level and then it is straight up roughly 2500 feet. it is slow going because it is all thick wet alders until you bust out to alpine and rock. you have been there so you know what i am talking about. it took us probably 3 hours to get all the way up. we set up a two man tent and glassed goats right from there. the next day we just moved up further about 1000 yards and waited for the right goat. i was there the third week of october and the hair was great on the goats. we had snow on top but if one big storm would have come in i doubt you would have been able to hunt. keep an eye out on when you have to apply for the permit so you dont miss it. most of the outfitters on kodiak are real good from what i understand. gus lameroux is real good on goats (expensive). paul chervnak is real good on big bears i hear. and of course brian peterson who i hunted with was real good. i so bad want to go back for a 10' bear but a dall sheep must come first. waiting to see how you make out with max.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember one of the hunters on the boat saying sitka blacktail hunting was like hunting sheep, come to thing about it. I hope your able to get back for your 10'er. I saw 3 bear while hunting there. Two were huge! Scary in fact! When I go the first good bear that I have in range will be getting some lead. I have a saving account opened up for this hunt through USAA. I want to go for my 50th birthday. My ultimate dream hunt is a brown from Kodiak. Your's was beautiful and I would be tickled to get one like it. The hide was awesome and size perfect in my eyes. I will be sure to let you know about Max's operation when I return. Good huntin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page