Tipping Guides & Outfitters Ö - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Tipping Guides & Outfitters Ö

Is it customary to tip your hunting guide when on a trip, how about the outfitter? Iíve gone out on many party fishing and private charter fishing boats, tipping the mates is always customary (at least 20%), however Iíve never tipped a captain, as I feel the money they require up front is enough. Iím just starting to toss ideas around about going on a hunting trip somewhere next fall, Iím trying to put some numbers together and unsure about tipping, I figure 20% for the guide overallÖbut what if I have several different guides throughout the trip, I certainly canít afford to pay a different guide 20% of the cost of the hunt for guiding me half the days. Anybody who goes on hunts often have any insight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
The Man

Re: Tipping Guides & Outfitters Ö

You are going to get alot of different responses to this. That should tell you that tipping is a very subjective and personal thing.
Typically, you do not tip the guide AND the outfitter. I have only tipped my outiftter three times and that was because he happened to also be my guide for those trips. Now if the outfitter does something nice for you that you want to reward them for, then by all means, it's your money. But in general, you don't tip the outfitter. I tip my guide, the cook and if there's a packer or tracker or something along those lines. Anyone who works for your trip. Those folks generally depend on tips as part of their income.
20% as a tip is pretty darned good. Your guides will be liking you if you go. I would say average is around 10%. I went on a grizzly hunt that cost $12,000. A 20% tip would have been $2400. I left the guide more than 10% but 20 seems high to me, but again it's subjective. How happy were you with the guide? Was he prepared for you? Did he work hard for you? Did you get along? It's not just whether you get an a nimal or not. Alot goes into it. Some of my guides worked the hardest on trips where I didn't get anything.
In the rare instance that I get guided by more than one person, I split it between them based upon what I think they each did. Don't do a full double tip.
BTW, if you're thinking of a trip for this fall, it better be somewhere that you can buy a license over the counter. Most of the drawings are over, or very near to it.
Just as a point of reference, I have been on 25 hunts in the US, Canada and Africa. FWIW.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Been on couple hunts where I had different guides during the week. I tipped 10% that went into a pot and they split it. 10% is very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 PM
The Man

Just curious, what kinda hunts are you guys on where you're getting guided by different guides? I've only had that once and on that trip my initial guide had his hand badly injured by a horse backing out of a trailer and catching it in the rope so he was out of commission.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I give 20% to the guide who I am with the most. Any others get 10% tops. I also tip 10% to the cook. I've never been on a badly guided hunt, so I have no problem tipping.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 PM
New Arrival

went on a charter once where TWO mates came along. I gave the normal tip I would have given to one and figured they can fight over it. No reason after paying ridiculously inflated trip pricing that anyone should then break the bank to tip multiple guides/mates in my opinion.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Went on a 7 day arche ry elk hunt and had 3 different guide, one was the outfitter. All worked bulls in, knew the area and were great. Gave him 15 percent and asked him to divide it among them.

Freedom is NOT free!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I usually give 10% if they are a good guide and they work for it. Most have got a little extra. Plus, if it is a town hunt, I feed them steak and beer. Those two things are great motivators to make them hunt hard. I have hunted with the one guide twice and I would take him a big bottle of Crown Royal. The cook always gets a couple hundred as well.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 PM

Went on bear hunt to Alberta few years ago and all the guide talked about every day was tipping him 5 or6 times a day.asked outfitter what would be proper for a tip & he said most guys gave 150 to 200. I gave him 200 but guide seemed a little put off about it.outfitter said guy resented Americans thought we were all rich because we could afford hunting trips. Took me years to save to go.this was back in 2003. Did take 2 bear & out fitter said that was appropriate.

We're all here because we're not all there!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page