Back To Top
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C
Re: Looking for combo outfitted hunt......
This one just about tears me in half. If I were you, I would do what it takes to keep that land. Ordinarily I would advise you on any of several nice hunting trips, but first you should secure your future hunting in PA. That should be your first priority.
On the other hand, you need to consider what is your Dad's first priority. If he has always wanted to go on such a hunt, you should move heaven and Earth to make it so for him before he can't do it anymore.
Lordy, but I am glad I am not the one who has to decide this one. I really hate to see you have to make such a decision, but in the final analysis, it is your Dad's decision to make. Respect that.
Now, as to combination hunts, here are a few things you need to know.
1. Can your Dad ride horses?
2. Would he be comfortable sleeping in a tent camp packed in by horse, or would he prefer the comfort of a lodge type camp or wall tent camp with heated tents?
3. What game species are the top priority?
4. What is the maximum amount of money you want to spend for two people.
5. You say he is in good shape for his age. Could he walk five miles in one day?
6. Would steep mountains or significant hills be totally out of the question?
7. Does your hunt have to be in North America or could it be in Africa? I took my wife on a hunt in Africa for about what a good quality elk/mule deer hunt costs (all expenses included) and I took six animals.
After you have the answers to the above, I suggest you sit down with a good booking agent or two and discuss what is possible. Premier Hunting Adventures sponsors this website and that might be a great place to start. If you still want advice from someone who has been on a bunch of great hunting trips, feel free to drop me a PM with specific questions.