Schrader's Outfitting ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Schrader's Outfitting ?

Anyone have any experience with this outfitter for deer hunting. They're located on the Eastern shore in Maryland.

I think the guy who runs it is Ken Schrader.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 AM

Re: Schrader's Outfitting ?

I think he is ok for waterfowl but I don't recommend him for deer hunting. I did a late season muzzleloader hunt with him a couple years back on a property that was supposed to be trophy only 125" or better. There were 4 of us and no one saw a deer the whole first day. Second morning we hunt another farm and soon as daylight comes we are getting pepperred with shot from the goose hunters hunting the same property while we were in our stands and needless to say we saw no deer. We finally ended up the 3 day hunt killing 4 does that we were only able to get because the guides put on drives for us and actually I think they were driving them from neighbors property but we saw nothing close to a decent buck. They had a JD Gator on this farm to get guys to the stands which was bought new in September and we were hunting Dec.28-30 and that gator had almost 400 hours on it which told me they overhunted this property big time. I never intend to go back. Look for someone else if deer hunting.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Part of the Community

Way overhunted........I have heard nothing but negative stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Can we do it his way??? Does anyone know of a good guide in Maryland for deer?? I've also thought about doing that since its nice and close. Just thought Id ask. Thanks

Sab

Sab, yup thats my name...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Regular Visitor

I can offer any opinion on Schraders as I have never hunted there, but he certainly can not be as busy as he is without some happy customers??

If you run down the counties in Maryland the two best are going to be Kent and Queen Annes. Cecil in nice, but there is alot of pressure up there and it is a rifle county. Lot's of deer harvested that do not reach potential and probably the number one poaching county JMO. Kent and Queen Annes are nice as there are some larger tracts of woods but super expensive. Talbot is very developed and while it has lots of large farms, many of the mansion type, waterfront places are not hunted. Caroline is very nice as it is the least pressured and still somewhat affordable. Dorcehster, Sommerset, Wicomico are even less expensive and get less pressure, but the quality of ground is far inferior to the upper short. Pines, instead of hard woods, and soik quality (yields on farms) is much lower. Lot's of the area is marshy and while it makes for good cover, not so much to grow a dense population of big deer.

So if you look at Kent and QA counties which most are thinking of when the consider ES deer hunting, a good farm is going to run $10,000. Maybe you can get but a few 150" deer on that farm each year through some aggressive habitat programs and QDM practices. Adding on insurance, hanging stands, guides time and profit you will need at least $15,000 in revenue. At $250.00 guided hunt cost per day you will need to have 60 hunts. If everyting is perfect, you will have two happy hunters that will shoot a big buck. A 3% success rate is pretty darn tough.

Due to the cost of the leases, I think a trip to IL or OH makes more sense. The same $10K in lease cost get 5x the land.

Owner Delmar Hunt Club, Traditions Outfitter, Marshtown Preserve and Kennels, The Inn at Marshtown
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:26 AM

Never heard anything good about his deer operations, much of the same posted above. Heard he gets allot of business from ads and hunters that are just "city" boys and are just as happy with a doe.

You would Do ANYTHING for a duck
WILL YOU VOLUNTEER?
http://www.ducks.org/volunteer
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

Ditto, I know numerous guys that hunted with Ken but not one of them went back for a 2nd hunt.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 02:29 PM
The Man

Go to Virginia....Best kept secret in the east.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken
Go to Virginia....Best kept secret in the east.
I was asked to go to Schrader's. I was pretty sure I wouldn't go, but I thought if it got good reports on here, maybe.

It's funny, the guy who booked the trip (whom I don't presonally know) is from Virginia, operates a big hunting website and was a guide in Idaho. I think he got his hunt for free.

GOBBLE THIS!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page