High Ridge Hunting Preserve - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

High Ridge Hunting Preserve

Going there in September for there bow jamboree and was wondering if anyonehad been there before?

2012-2013
Groundhog - 12
Deer - 3
Pheasant - 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Part of the Community

Re: High Ridge Hunting Preserve

I have been to 10 jams at high ridge got 7 animals, not much of a hunt more like target practice its still a good time.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Banned

Been there once, I did the spring time Jamboree, although I was succesful on a Corsican ram I dont know if I would be going back for another jamboree...I would go back to hunt a pig by myself or with friends, but not for the jamboree. It is a percentage hunt and is essentialy his way of making up for any animals he has left over from the summer/spring so he doesnt have to feed them over the winter months, meaning that not everyone is guaranteed to get something but he does not necessarily come right out with that on the phone or his website, atleast he didnt when I went. He will take as many hunters he can but does not increase the number of animals inside the fence, I think 33 hunters scored out of 55 that were there when I went. Hunters were very close to each other and was not what I was expecting, for the price your going to be hard pressed to beat it but believe me you are thankful once the "hunt" begins that others are only allowed 3 arrows a piece as you can just hear the bows/crossbows going off and arrows tinking off trees. I was thankfull to be at one of the top stands at the end of a row, so I only had people to my right/left and behind me and I was lucky enough to have the animals come in front of me giving me a shot before others and bfore they ran the "gauntlet" down through the rows of hunters as the guide called it...those in the middle of a row would be surrounded on all 4 sides usually 50-60yds seperating hunters. Once you shoot your animal you put your tag on it then walkd back the road to the lodge and wait for them to bring the animals back to skinning pole and then there is a taxidermist there taking orders or you can hose off meat and head out.

As I said you will be hardpressed to beat it for the price and if your succesful your likely going to have a good time, just shoot early and make it count as its last arrow in the animal that gets it not first/kill shot! My ram dropped in its tracks, I used a Buzzcut 2 bld and it didnt know it was hit I dont think, but I saw several animals come in with multiple hunters arrows in/out of it! Sorry if I am being a kill joy at all, but that wasnt my intention I was trying to be as honest as possible and figured id tell ya as if I were telling a friend who would ask me about my experience. Best of luck, hopefully you get a chance at one of the sitka bucks....doesnt he have them in septembers jamboree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

So you basically got to shoot early? Thanks for the info.

2012-2013
Groundhog - 12
Deer - 3
Pheasant - 6
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM

'33 scored out of 55'
'hardpressed to beat it for the price'

Hence the nature of the Jamboree. Nothing special or unique to High Ridge. All about the same. More shooters than animals, much cheaper prices. Everybody pays regardless they harvest or not. 'X' number of shooters that do not take animals compensates for the cheaper prices of those that do.
Last one I was at, shooters had a small square painted on ground you couldn't leave. Animals just out milling around till death rained down from above.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAkilla86
Been there once, I did the spring time Jamboree, although I was succesful on a Corsican ram I dont know if I would be going back for another jamboree...I would go back to hunt a pig by myself or with friends, but not for the jamboree. It is a percentage hunt and is essentialy his way of making up for any animals he has left over from the summer/spring so he doesnt have to feed them over the winter months, meaning that not everyone is guaranteed to get something but he does not necessarily come right out with that on the phone or his website, atleast he didnt when I went. He will take as many hunters he can but does not increase the number of animals inside the fence, I think 33 hunters scored out of 55 that were there when I went. Hunters were very close to each other and was not what I was expecting, for the price your going to be hard pressed to beat it but believe me you are thankful once the "hunt" begins that others are only allowed 3 arrows a piece as you can just hear the bows/crossbows going off and arrows tinking off trees. I was thankfull to be at one of the top stands at the end of a row, so I only had people to my right/left and behind me and I was lucky enough to have the animals come in front of me giving me a shot before others and bfore they ran the "gauntlet" down through the rows of hunters as the guide called it...those in the middle of a row would be surrounded on all 4 sides usually 50-60yds seperating hunters. Once you shoot your animal you put your tag on it then walkd back the road to the lodge and wait for them to bring the animals back to skinning pole and then there is a taxidermist there taking orders or you can hose off meat and head out.

As I said you will be hardpressed to beat it for the price and if your succesful your likely going to have a good time, just shoot early and make it count as its last arrow in the animal that gets it not first/kill shot! My ram dropped in its tracks, I used a Buzzcut 2 bld and it didnt know it was hit I dont think, but I saw several animals come in with multiple hunters arrows in/out of it! Sorry if I am being a kill joy at all, but that wasnt my intention I was trying to be as honest as possible and figured id tell ya as if I were telling a friend who would ask me about my experience. Best of luck, hopefully you get a chance at one of the sitka bucks....doesnt he have them in septembers jamboree?
lol That sounds like an awesome hunt!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Banned

Nope I had to wait til the owner shot of his .357 signaling the start of the hunt...about 5 minutes later I heard shots below me but the rams were all in a group up above me...so when they walked passed the only hunters to my right they came out in front of me I shot and sat down behind a big tree and waited for the shooting to stop and I walked out. All in all when I was there it was over in about hour and a half, it took about an hour to get all setup. When I stated shoot early and make it count.....I meant dont "waste" time essentially when shooting or getting ready to shoot, not saying make an unethical or bad placed shot just to get an arrow in something, but realize that at the few seconds you may get aiming down on an animal that its highly likely that atleast 1 other hunter is doing the same or is of the type that would simply shoot to get an arrow in something no matter what the angle, distance, etc.! Put it in the boilerroom of a ram or deer up there and you should be fine they arent "wild" animals that are used to the orange mob that comes out every fall to kill them so they dont have the instant flight mentality, except for hogs best of luck with that one hit em in the lungs and pray they go down fast.

Also I said 33 out of 55 before, that was including 2 guys who shot 2 emu's he had running around rather than going home with nothing lol
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

ok now i get what your saying. If someone seen you shoot would they also shoot the animal? Im just worried about hitting one and it running a good bit.

2012-2013
Groundhog - 12
Deer - 3
Pheasant - 6
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Also when you mean the flight instinct did you mean if you shot it they didnt just take off?

2012-2013
Groundhog - 12
Deer - 3
Pheasant - 6
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 03:46 AM

sounds like a arcade game........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page