Tip for where to hunt DIY in colorado - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Tip for where to hunt DIY in colorado

I've been reading posts here and there for where to do a DIY elk hunt in Colorado. I've helped as many of you guys as I could either through messages or PM's. I just wanted to pass one more piece of usefull info along. I've been studying BLM maps and state forrest maps and GMU maps trying to overlay public and private land with access roads and gps coordinates. Needless to say it an endless job but you have to do the legwork if you want to hunt. Well, I just got done talking with the Colorado DOW regarding a few areas I'm interested in and he sent me to this book. Ths thing is amazing. It basically does exactly what I've been trying to do on my own. It marks state forrest, state wilderness, BLM and private land by color. It then overlays a coordinate grid so you can find the areas with a gps. Finally it has a detailed road map that you won't find on any other atlas. It shows paved roads, dirt roads, gravel roads, 4x4 roads and atv trails on all of the state land so you know exactly how to get back into the deepest places to hunt. I thought I'd post it for anyone else looking to head to Colorado for a DIY hunt. I think this thing will be a God send this October for me and my friends. It's also cool because it's the exact same book that the DOW uses for marking it's boundaries so you shouldn't have any issues with conflicting data if you end up talking with a DOW officer.

http://www.amazon.com/Roads-Colorado-2nd...67550582&sr=8-1

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

Re: Tip for where to hunt DIY in colorado

I've been also kicking around doing a DIY Elk hunt... Thank's for the info. Let's see if I plan one then I'll draw a N.H. Moose tag. Just not enough time in a year.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you ever decide to go out for a DIY in Colorado just shoot me a PM and I'll set you up with just about everything you'll need to know to get started.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bearklr

Just htought Id let you know, Ive seen you post on this stuff before and I thought its great you offering to help guys this much. Thanks a heap and if I ever do decide to go on my own you'll hear from me

Sab

Sab, yup thats my name...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

Bearklr.
As CWA said THANK YOU. Very nice of you to help out. I just may be requesting your assistance. Would love to try my 35W out on an elk. If I can ever be of assistance in Illinois, just PM me. Rich
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not a problem guys! I've had my fair share of help along the way and I just enjoy helping others and passing it on. You're more than welcome!

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Is there anywhere in Colorado where I could get somewhat decent public access and have a good chance of taking a cow elk on my own. I mean I'm not in terrible shape but I'm no athlete either, and I have some back issues. i held a Colorado Elk tag in 2007 and my wife's cousin was going to show me where to hunt and give me a place to sleep. In the meantime his marriage fell apart and I couldn't stay there and he couldn't show me around because he was busy working out his marriage. Colorado was gracious and refunded my money since I didn't get to hunt elk but my dreams of shooting an elk out west still remain unfulfilled.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 PM

I got a LOT up on St. Mary's Glacier....

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned

Mike.... Why only a cow??? If I don't draw a N.H. Moose Tag I may look into an DIY Elk hunt. I had a guy on another site that did it quite regularly and offered assistance if I was interested. Just no time last year. Maybe should look into the availability of tag's.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Whelan
Mike.... Why only a cow??? If I don't draw a N.H. Moose Tag I may look into an DIY Elk hunt. I had a guy on another site that did it quite regularly and offered assistance if I was interested. Just no time last year. Maybe should look into the availability of tag's.

Because I know guys who go out four or five years before they get their first bull. They see cows every year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page