Colorado/New Mexico Rifle Elk Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Colorado/New Mexico Rifle Elk Hunt

I am looking for a rifle elk hunt in Colorado or New Mexico. I do not want to draw tags or try to accumulate points for an area. I would like to stay in a lodge that is comfortable and possibly bring my wife. Does anyone have any info on such a place? I appreaciate your opinions and responses.

Kinzua Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 PM

Re: Colorado/New Mexico Rifle Elk Hunt

you can buy over the counter tags in the units up near meeker and gunnison, CO. there are outfitters up in the area. cant speak about what lodges are available but there are motels. a DIY in that area would be less than $1K, including license. im doing just that again this year. that area is quantity over quality. dont expect to have a chance at a 350(although there is a slight chance) inch bull, but you WILL see bulls. i know some people that have used outfitters out there, i will see if i can get in touch with them and let you know.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Kinzua Man,

There are many outfitters offering lodge hunts in Colorado. I am aware of several. But maybe your best bet would be to access the Colorado Outfitters web site and enter the type of hunt and facilities in which you are interested.

Most places of which I am aware, charge an extra fee for an accompanying non-hunter. You'll also want to see what activities they would provide for a non-hunter - some offer horseback rides, fishing, etc. Some of these lodge hunts can be pricey. You didn't give any indication as to how much you're willing to fork over.

http://coloradooutfitters.org.previe...1&is_gallery=0

BobB
WMU2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I know I will be spending more than 6K but really wondered if anyone had done what I described and could recommend an outfitter. Thank you advance.

Kinzua Man
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Kinzua Man,

http://www.buffalocreek.com/2010%20Hunt.html

I was strongly considering this ranch for an Elk hunt in 2010. But I decided to use my preference points for mule deer instead in GMU201.

The owners at Buffalo Creek Ranch have not posted their 2011 hunts yet. But take a look at the 2010 hunts. There's a guy (Rodney Miller) from PA who hunted there. He owns a deer ranch (website below). You may remember a few years back he had a huge buck stolen off his ranch - Goliath may have been the name of the deer? He eventually recovered that deer.

His phone number is on his site and I bet he'd be more than willing to spend some time with you discussing his experiences on the Buffalo Creek Ranch. By the way, Rodney was accompanied by his wife on the trip.

http://www.rdmwildbunch.com/

Walden Colorado is about an hour southwest of Laramie Wyoming. It's part of Jackson County, Colorado - otherwise called North Park.

By the way, note that part of the fee for hunting there includes on site caping/butchering/packaging/and freezing your elk.

Go west man! It's changing all too quickly. I'm going back out this fall.

I hope the above info helps you out.

BobB

BobB
WMU2F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page