Help on Moose hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Help on Moose hunt

Myself and 3 other guys are looking to go on a canadian moose hunt in the near future. (1st timer here) I need help finding the good outfitter to go with and maybe other info that a rookie might need to know. 4 guys-4 bulls (my uncle hunted quebec and it was 2 hunters per one bull, no thanks) need prices of total trip (well tags,lodging and guide service)
Also we may be interested in Moose/Caribou combos or Moose/Black bear combo hunts. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

The Nuge for President!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Re: Help on Moose hunt

Oh and over the counter tags, no drawings.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunted with Westwoods Outfitters in Newfoundland a couple of years ago. Friend, brother, and myself. We filled all our tags and had a great experience. 3 moose, 2 caribou, and 3 bear We drove to North Sydney in Nova Scotia and took the ferry to Port Aux Basque which was alot of fun to do. Woodland Caribou hunting is very limited now due to the numbers and the game department trying to bring numbers back. This tag can be quite pricey now so you would have to talk to Stewart in that reguards. For a moose and bear and the whole trip incidentals I would figure around $4500.00. Here is his contact info if you are interested. Good luck in your search.

Stewart Butland
P.O. Box 173
Doyles, Newfoundland
Canada, A0N 1J0
(709) 955-2855
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thank you very much Big28. Very helpful.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

It depends upon what kind of a moose you want, 3B. If you want a boomer of a bull, Alaska and British Columbia are the best, followed closely by Yukon. If you just want a "nice" bull, Newfoundland. Here are two I have taken. If you are interested in knowing more about either outfitter, here are the websites I would highly recommend in BC. Others can recommend outfitters in Alaska/Yukon.
The first is BC Safaris in northern BC.
http://bcsafaris.com/ Here is the moose I took with them:

Another outfitter that has decent moose and high success rate is Tukii Lodge. http://www.babineguides.com/rates.html
I hunted grizzly and black bear with them, but saw a whole lot of moose. I believe they went 48/50 on bull moose last year. I have not hunted moose with them YET.

I took the following moose in Alberta back in 1994, but would not recommend the outfitter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Holy Bulls!!!! Thats awesome muttley. I'm probably looking to hunt Newfoundland/Quebec/Ontario. A bull to be proud of without breaking the bank. Somewhere where i don't have to draw a tag or have two hunters per (1) bull tag. Thanks for the help

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Several decent hunts in Newfoundland, 3B. Check out Tuckamore Lodge. I have a good friend who went there and swears by them.
http://hunting-newfoundland.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page