Doing it SOLO - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Doing it SOLO

Has anyone ever hunted SOLO with an outfitter and traveled to get there??

Looks like no one else is up for it...does it take the joy out of it? I'm not normally the loner type. Let me know.

IF YOU SEND ME A PM, I WON'T GET IT USUALLY UNLESS I SEND ONE FIRST. REPLY & TELL ME TO PM YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Doing it SOLO

I have...it was ok but it is much more enjoyable with a hunting partner.

If you can't run on the snow with the big dogs stay on the porch!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 AM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

I too would rather go with a group. There is something to be said for sitting around camp in the evening with friends to hear the stories, have some refreshments and just poke fun at each other.

But, I have done solo trips and have had a great time on them. There are years that just don't work out for friends and I'd rather go alone than stay home - we aren't getting any younger!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:52 AM
The Man

I've done perhaps 1/2 of my trips solo....You always meet nice folks on these trips and you get to run things the way you want to .....Very relaxing that way!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A great many times, not a problem for me.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Most of my trips are solo. Everyone wants to go till its time to pony up some $ then they cant go. So I rely on myself and thats it, If someone comes with its a bonus. Last year I traveled 5 times, 4 were alone.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 PM

I hunt mostly alone and Pa and I have hunted alone on a number of outfitted hunts.... I acutally prefere it.

on one hunt in BC Canada. I flew to chicago transfered to Calgery stayed in a hotel for the night. Jumped a Greyhound to Banf and transfered to Golden BC. Stayed in cellar of outfitter and hunted alone...one of the best hunts I have been on.

timber

I am a Reagan Conservative first and a Republican second.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by berksbowman
Most of my trips are solo. Everyone wants to go till its time to pony up some $ then they cant go. So I rely on myself and thats it, If someone comes with its a bonus. Last year I traveled 5 times, 4 were alone.
EXACTLY how I am and how I feel. 90% of my guided hunts are solo...but if anyone wants a partner for a trip theyre going on just ask me....if I cant go(money, time off) I'll tell you right up front. In fact its how I meet new hunters all the time and most of the time guys I meet on trips I wind up hunting with again cause I know theyre serious about going when they say they will

Sab

Sab, yup thats my name...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have gone on several western hunts. All except one were by myself. I agree with berksbowman. All of my buddies are really good guys but when it comes to actually saving for a hunting trip out west they always back out or have some problem and can't go. This has happened to me since I was 30 yrs old. I am 55 now. The same buddies STILL haven't been out west to hunt.
A few years ago I took my son with me for a mule deer hunt and we had a great time. He really isn't much of a hunter though and wouldn't part with his own money to go hunting.
I am a friendly and outgoing person but not a loudmouth or anything like that. I enjoy a group and always enjoy listening to stories and sharing experiences with others. It's more fun to laugh and have poor hunting than to be alone and have fantastic hunting. That's just my own opinion. I am looking to hunt elk, caribou or moose in 2010 or 2011. If anyone is looking for a partner or a person to round out a hunting party I am your man. Please PM me.
I suggest a meeting to get to know each other before any commitments are made. This ought to be before the Harrisburg sports show.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 AM

I have done a couple alone but most have been with a friend or two. Years ago I had a group of guys, sometimes as many as 8 or 10 that wanted to go and would go. Making arrangements for everyone and everyone leaving it up to me to chase deposits and all wasn't worth the aggravation. Now it is down to basically 2 others but like others have said it is usually all in until money is due then it is all out which is when I go it alone. Usually most guys you find in camp are pretty good and you can have a pretty enjoyable week as you have the hunting in common. In the past I have not gone on hunts as I didn't want to go it alone and friends backed out - as said I'm not getting any younger so won't pass anymore - I will go alone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page