Airline approved gun case - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Airline approved gun case

I also posted this on a different forum, what are the regulations for a airline approved case. I can not seem to find the details.
Thanks

GOD is GREAT, BEER is GOOD, & PEOPLE are CRAZY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Airline approved gun case

Why not just call the airline you arethinking of traveling on ? I bought my aluminum double scoped case from the sportsmans guide and it was not a problem

Sab, yup thats my name...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good ideas I never gave it a thought to look at the airline itself

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Right from the USAirways Website:

You are here - Home Travel tools - Baggage - Special items

Antlers

Antlers will be accepted as checked baggage for a charge of $200 per direction. The following conditions of acceptance apply:
•Dimension (H + W + L) must not exceed 120 in/305 cm
•On the CRJ aircraft the largest dimension cannot exceed 33 in/84 cm and the overall dimensions cannot exceed 99 in/252 cm
•On the Dash 8 aircraft the largest dimension cannot exceed 50 in/127 cm
•Head/skull must be completely clean and free of residue
•Points must be covered and protected
•1 rack per ticketed customer
•Can’t combine or cradle 2 or more racks

Archery equipment

Archery equipment will be accepted in the normal baggage allowance in lieu of a piece of baggage. Archery equipment must be packed in a case or container of sufficient strength to protect the bows and quiver with arrows from accidental damage. One item of archery equipment consists of:
•1 bow
•1 quiver
•1 maintenance kit

Firearms

US Airways will allow passengers to transport firearms in accordance with Federal Law.
•Items of shooting equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only.
•A passenger who presents checked baggage that contains a firearm must declare the weapon and sign a written acknowledgement that the firearm is unloaded.
•Firearms must be packed in a manufacturer’s hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
•Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the passenger.
•A Firearm Unloaded Declaration form (available only at the airport) must be signed and placed inside the bag or gun case.
•Checked ammunition may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg per person. Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or constructed of wood, fiber, plastic, or metal and provide separation for cartridges. Ammunition may be checked in the same piece of luggage as a firearm. No additional documentation is required.
•There is no limit to the number of items contained in rifle, shotgun or pistol case, up to 50 lbs/23 kg, 62 in/157 cm in maximum.
•A passenger who presents a firearm to be checked to an international destination must be in possession of all required import documentation for their international destination city and any international transit points. It is the responsibility of the passenger to acquire the required documentation from the applicable government entity prior to travel (usually a consulate or embassy). Firearms will not be accepted for transport if international import requirements have not been met.
•US Airways does not transport weapons or firearms to or from Spain

SGT
United States Marine Corps
1992 to 1997
HMH-464 Avionics
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks tooth! I will do the same for SAA but I would guess most are sumo UAE from airway to airway. Will be my first time flying w/ a weapon so want to make sure I do it right

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 AM
New Arrival

Do yourself a favor and buy a quality case once in a lifetime. I bought a Pelican 1700 long case and it’s great for the rigors of traveling for trips. It is expensive at approximately $200 but the junk that’s sold at the big box sports stores don't even compare. Just my opinion. I've taken the case on several airlines without issues.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

we ship ours UPS.....in a good case inside a plywood box...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Regular Visitor

I have a Cabelas 1995 vintage 2 rifle box. I've flown with it on 17 trips, with many connecting flights. I've seen my buddy's brand new plastic boxes come unwound on their first flights. My old box still hanging in there. I've never had scope knocked off it's zero, even watched it fall off elevated conveyor,falling 6 feet and bounced of Tarmac.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Culturist
Do yourself a favor and buy a quality case once in a lifetime. I bought a Pelican 1700 long case and it’s great for the rigors of traveling for trips. It is expensive at approximately $200 but the junk that’s sold at the big box sports stores don't even compare. Just my opinion. I've taken the case on several airlines without issues.
I concur. I have picked clients on more than one occassion that had their gun cases beaten pretty good. airlines can be very rough on your equipment.

Two Bear Outfitters
www.elkoutfitters.com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Part of the Community

I bought a SKB single rifle case a few years ago. Its a nice streamlined easy to cary case, that still fits my A-bolt with a 26" barrel nicely. Its got a lot of hard miles on it with no damage to my rifle. The security guys appreciate the fact that it has TSA locks on it also. It just makes things that much smoother.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page