Place for the whole family?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Place for the whole family??

If you were going to take a whole family on a whitetail hunt, where would you go??? Family of 5 ( with 2-5 hunters) Looking for something with stands and some comfort for varyign degrees of hardiness. Just nice bucks around, no gaurantees, no need for MONSTERS.

A southern plantation style?
A midwest farm hunt?
Texas?
Or just keep staying in PA and roll the dice and save thousands?

(I'd say Canada too, but that is not going to happen with those temps)

I would love to take my whole family somewhere together some day. Doubt all would hunt (depends on how soon), but like them all to be at the cabin/lodge and spend time in the stands even just observing, before my hatchlings start flying from the nest.

Is something like this even possibe if your name ain't Rockafeller?? We are talking a save for a couple year type budget here?

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Place for the whole family??

I am taking my wife to Arkansas next year for a DIY public land deer hunt. They have lots of deer and a warmer temps. I have big problems with her getting cold on stand here in PA.

I have some family who takes their kids to Texas. Beware, if you hunt Texas, you WILL be hunting over bait. The hunting is very easy with no challenge. Not bashing it. But, you may ruin your small kids of PA style hunting. Let a 12 yr old shoot a couple deer over bait from a tower stand with a recliner and windows in it, and they may lose interest in sitting in the cold wind all day to see 5 deer here in PA.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

TEXAS

There's hunting and there's hunting with a good dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
The Man

You already know what I'm going to say:

Take em to Deerfield Plantation. Go late September to mid October. Reserve the cottage for privacy (although that is an extra cost). With things the way they are, Hugh would probably sell you a one time corporate membership which would cover the 5 of you for a five day hunt at a considerable discount. The little ones could hunt if you'd like, I don't think there is any minimum age.

If the youngest aren't hunting, it might work out cheaper to just book 2-3 hunts and pay the non-hunter fee for the rest of the gang. In any case, talk to Hugh at the show and see what you could work out.

Any way you look at it, a hunt for that many people will be a few bucks, but I think you'll find you could do all 5 of you in the south for about what you'd pay for just 2 of you in the midwest or Texas.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know you said that you wanted whitetail, but how about Pronghorn instead?
Long story short- my grandfather passed away, my mom got a few dollars and wants to buy my family a hunt. I've been searching for the best "bang for the buck" so to speak. Pronghorn seems to be a perfect fit. Not priced crazy high and a chance to harvest a trophy from the western states. I've been getting lists from all over, for cancelation hunts and they are a bargain.
I would like Wyoming archery season with crossbows, but I doubt that is going to happen. Probably be a rifle hunt with a possible D.I.Y. on public land.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Thanks for the reply Tussey...good points.

My kids really understand the difference between PA style and other type hunts though, we watch just enough hunting shows that we already had those discussions. Texas really does not appeal to me much to begin with (scenery wise)...Arkansas sounds interesting. Personally I am thinking SE style, but did not want to sway suggestions yet.

I do DIY here now for them, and always will, til they don;t want me too, but it wears me down, like to take a break from that and just enjoy the hunt with them.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Quote:
You already know what I'm going to say:
And you already know what i was thinking. lol... But thought a good discussion or listing of such palces could prove valuable to all HPAers.

I am not sure I can do the show, but I am going to contact him.

That said, keep the discussion and suggestions going...

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 PM
The Man

Arrowhead, that's a great suggestion. Weather would be good and it would be a blast for the kids to either participate in the stalk or watch from the truck through a glass.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My ultimate deer hunting dreams are:

- A pack-in wilderness mule deer hunt in CO.

- To hunt deer and elk in the Missouri River Breaks area of Montana.

Both of these hunts would be a bit costly for me right now. But, within a few years should be a go.

I certainly agree you should take your kids and wife south. Lots of deer and not so cold.
When the kids get older, look to the west. I have hunted the west twice. But, I never got to hunt the west with my father and he has been dead over 10 years now.
Nothing is more awe-inspiring, beautiful, and challenging, than a big game hunt in the Rocky Mts.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM
The Man

Not deer hunting, but a great family vacation would be a spring bear hunt in Canada. Fairly mild weather, fishing for the whole family during the day and bear hunting in the evening for the hunters in the gang, and very affordable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page