Tipping Guide - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232
Tipping Guide

I will be going on my first guided hunt in a couple weeks (whitetail hunt in NC). What does everyone tip their guide and the camp cook?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Tipping Guide

This very topic was just posted an hour or so ago,lol...
depends on the service I suppose.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

One thing -- be sure to give the tip directly to the guide and/or cook. You would be surprised how many outfitters never distribute out the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10der222
This very topic was just posted an hour or so ago,lol...
depends on the service I suppose.
I see this now. But didn't look in the bear/elk forum. Oh well.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

It all depends if the owner is guiding your or hired help. The owner sets the price, so if he wants to make more, he charges more. So, dependent on the case determines the tip. Always tip the cook if they do a good job and also tip and hired help if they are worthy. I don't buy into the 10% or 15% and I am especially disinterested when a guide "recommends" a certain amount. I have hunted from New Zealand to Alaska and I can honestly say that my tipping has been from 0 to 25% dependent on the cost of the hunt and if anything extra was done. I have even tipped the owner more than I normally would when he went above and beyond to make things happen or the hunt. Effort equals reward in my book and just because the hunt was successful doesn't mean I am happy with the entire trip. A punched tag means very little to me when I determine if things were as expected.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:27 PM

It all depends on how much effort I feel the guide or first mate has given.

On average- I'd say most who work hard deserve (and expect) around 15%, maybe 10% on a high-end caribou, moose, or elk trip. It's not really about if I kill something or not, more to do with if I feel the guide was truly interested in helping me fill my tag or catch my limit. Most of these guys are making less than minimum wage (the guide, not the outfitter), and depend on tips to make their living, same as a waitress.

I usually factor the tip in before I go on a trip. I've only stiffed a couple guides in the past...one was just plain lazy and drunk most of the time...he actually put his hand out for a tip, I shook it on my way out the door and said "Thanks pal". I've stiffed a couple first mates on fishing trips also, had nothing to do with catching fish or not, they just had lousy attitudes.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM

I usually am a generous tipper, but if hunting at a lodge where the "guiding" is hauling a bunch of guys out in a Suburban and dropping them off on a road with directions on how to get to their stand, I do not tip.

G-Daddy
Youth and enthusiasm will always be overcome by age and treachery.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

So if you tip a percentage of the hunt, would you tip for the cost of the hunt or the cost of the hunt + lodging and food?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you want to tell me what the hunt costs I'll tell you what I would tip. Ive been on hunts from Canada to Georgia and as far west as Wyoming for species from hog to deer to duck to bear to lopes...If you want to PM me feel free or post it up here and Im sure you"ll get a range of answers

Sab, yup thats my name...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Sage

Many guides don't get paid enough to live on, like wait staff at resturants and mates on charter boats. If they do a good job and work for you they should get a decent tip. I tip aournd 15% of the cost of the hunt, more if they did a really good job and I never divided out the food and lodging because I never had a hunt where it wasn't all included. I treat it like I do when I go out to an expensive resturant, if I don;t have enough money to pay the freight and the trip, I don't go. Now if you are treated like crap, the accomadations are poor and they don't wrk to get you game it is an entirely a different story.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page