Black Bear Hunt Maine 2011 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County
Black Bear Hunt Maine 2011

I have been hunting Maine's bear season for 3 yrs during the first week of bait season with Katahdin Valley Outfitters. I saw bears the first 2 trips and did not get a shot but this year......I scored!

There were were 7 hunters in camp on days 1 and 2 scored before 6pm. One hunter had his gun break and saw 2 bears at his stand not being able to take a shot.

Day 2 I had 3 bears in all at once and got a nice shot at 25yds with my Lyman 50 cal. flintlock. My father in law shot one on day 4. Awesome trip!

As I have stated here before, Steve Nissley and his family put on a 1st class hunt from the food, lodging, transportation, and area selection it's a great experience from the time you get there through you return home. The area he hunts is 44,000 acres of private land exclusively hunted by his camp for the bait and dog seasons. Stands and blinds are all within 50yds of his baits and easy access from the dirt roads. Each day he takes you into your stand, baits and leaves, retruning after dark to bring ya back in. If you harvest, he and his sons recover the bear, skin and prep it for transport. If you have an interest in hunting with him visit his website at http://www.katahdinvalley-outfitters.com and if you have any questions feel free to contact me also!

A big thanks to Steve, son Andy, daughters Becky and Rachel for an awesome experience!!

Here are a few pics of the hunting site and the bear I harvested. It was a 120lb sow, taken with a 50 cal., Lyman Great Plains flintlock, Lyman peep sights, 245 gr. aerotip powerbelt, 90 2f 777 and 5gr 3f BP.

View from the treet stand

close up of bait barrel

recovery 50 yds from bait

On the pole

Prior to skinning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Black Bear Hunt Maine 2011

i'm happy for your top notch experience and congrats on your bear
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks! The icing was I recommended the hunt to the 2 guys who scored day one and my father in law getting his first!!

Can't praise KVO enough! Highly recommended!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:52 PM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

Congrats and with a flintlock to boot! Sounds like you and your father in law made some memories on this adventure.

Not sure about your area but much of Maine is covered up with nuts and berries this year making baiting more difficult. I had one outfitter tell me they got a photo of a bear licking the side of the bait barrel and it never touched any of the goodies inside.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

He buys his bait from a local fella. Lots of chocolate, peanut butter, granola ect. They seem to really like it. It smells great while on stand!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Thanks! The icing was I recommended the hunt to the 2 guys who scored day one and my father in law getting his first!!

Can't praise KVO enough! Highly recommended!!

Can ya guess who one of the "other two guys" were.

Dead on with your recomendation Paul, can't wait to do it again. I was lucky enough to harvest this Sow that tipped the scales around 190lbs.

Do you want to explain Yogi or should I. : )

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

LOL! Ron's young son not only loaded the shell that he used to harvest his bear.......he loaned him Yogi as a hunting companion! Yogi hunted with Ron, myself and my father in law. I'd say he's a pretty good guide since he has been in the woods with 3 hunters and in 4 days 3 bears were taken!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page