Booked a hunt at the outdoors show - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Booked a hunt at the outdoors show

I decided to make my first non DIY hunt a bear hunt in New Brunswick for Fall 2020. I will be going through True North Outfitters. The owner at the booth was kind and courteous and answered all my questions without pressuring me. The price was on the lower end of bear hunts but wasn't so low I was worried that it might be a shotty operation. I was planning on taking my 30-30 my dad got me for my first rifle when I was 11 and would like to take my first bear with the gun that took my first deer. A lot of firsts with this trip hopefully. I'm booked Sept 7-11. I know the moon won't be ideal (full to 3/4 during the stay) but the owner said at that time of year the bears will just be getting done with the blueberries so the meat is the best then.

Has anyone done these hunts and what should I expect? I wanted to do a "cheaper hunt" before I spend more money on a moose hunt to see if I like it. It's only a 15 hour drive so I will be driving and not flying so I don't have to pay to ship the meat and hide. I hope it's worth all the excitement I will have to contain for the next year and a half. I know about the gun form for Canada and since my wife is Canadian I've done the border crossings more times than I would like so I know the routine there.

I was going 100% off of what I had learned talking to the other outfitters and the owner of this one so if anyone could share experiences, what to expect, etc would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe someone has used this outfitter before and might say he's the worst?! I haven't sent my check in yet but plan to by the end of the week if I don't find any real negative reviews. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 AM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

One thing you might ask is if they have guns you can use. Your going to find it very confusing and frustrating trying to take a gun to Canada. My buddies do waterfowl hunts every year and now the outfitters usually provide guns and ammo cause it is such a pain to do the paperwork.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I've taken guns to and from Canada before so that will not be a problem. I'll have to research acceptable ammo but its not that difficult. Three unsigned and undated firearm forms (same form 3 times), $25 a gun, and a few questions is all it takes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:32 AM
The Man

I'm not familiar with True North Outfitters but I've hunted spring bear in New Brunswick 5 times and have taken 4 bears, and am booking another trip for this spring. Most of the province is very rural, remote and beautiful country, you should enjoy yourself. Looks like you'll be hunting before moose season starts, which is a good thing. Good luck to you!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDX View Post
One thing you might ask is if they have guns you can use. Your going to find it very confusing and frustrating trying to take a gun to Canada. My buddies do waterfowl hunts every year and now the outfitters usually provide guns and ammo cause it is such a pain to do the paperwork.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshank85 View Post
I've taken guns to and from Canada before so that will not be a problem. I'll have to research acceptable ammo but its not that difficult. Three unsigned and undated firearm forms (same form 3 times), $25 a gun, and a few questions is all it takes.

Really no big deal. I'll add to the above: stop at US customs before crossing into Canada to declare your firearms on US form 4457. The Canadian form is 5589. Both the US and Canadian forms are available on-line and I do both at home before I leave and have them ready to go when I hit the border.
blackpowder likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:04 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
I'm not familiar with True North Outfitters but I've hunted spring bear in New Brunswick 5 times and have taken 4 bears,

4 bear in 5 hunts. That is an awesome success rate. Is than normal or have you had above average success?

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:48 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
4 bear in 5 hunts. That is an awesome success rate. Is than normal or have you had above average success?

For the week I go (second week of the season), that's better than average. I'd say average has run 50%, but that's kill, opportunity runs more like 80% or better. There are always bears passed up, spooked and wounded. It actually gets better the following weeks, but the bugs get worse, plus, the later you go the more chance of rubbed pelts. Last spring, the third week they went 11 for 14.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Taking guns to Canada is no big deal. You can download the Canadian form, need it in triplicate. Or you can fill it out at the border. My experiences have always been positive crossing into Canada.....sometimes coming back into the US I’ve been hassled by whacky US border agents.

Prior to your trip, ( or stop at American side of border crossing) make sure you have a Form 4437 filled out and signed by border agency. You need that coming back when you enter US. ( you list your firearms on it )

If folks have had much of a criminal past, including DUI, it can get flagged going into Canada. I’ve had 2 guys go with me that had a DUI, but it wasn’t an issue when we crossed. Depends on how thorough the Canadian agents are and what kind of mood they’re in.

As far as the moon phase, I’ve hunted northern Maine 5 times, and our success was similar no matter what the moon phase was. A full moon can rise and set at different times, and a cloudy overcast night negates some of the full moon’s effect on game movement. All thing equal, I’d prefer a dark moon, but it wouldn’t worry me itit was full.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 02-04-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:57 PM

Wasn't aware NB had hunts that time of year but I've hunted Northern Maine then. Bear activity can vary a lot. Friends hunt NB the end of May or so and usually do well, not with the outfit you're using. Should be a good trip for you.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Iím not sure about NB, but in Maine, fall success rates over bait can vary from year to year. For example, it is a banner year for beech nuts, hunting over bait can be tough. A dry summer can cause the berry crop to wither, which can make bear hunting in September easier.

Iím always wary of success rates of some outfitters. Trying to get a number (which to me should be simple ) out of some is downright impossible. Then there are those who call every bear shot at or passed up as a kill. Some camps have detailed records of their past hunts, some just give you a lot of mumbo jumbo. Camps that claim 90% or better always set off by my -- detector.
jarentz likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in