Portland Creek Outfitters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Portland Creek Outfitters

Any information on Portland Creek Outfitters in New Foundland. Booking a Moose hunt for fall 2020.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 PM
The Man

I have hunted with a couple Newfie outfitters and did a hunt with Portland Creek somewhere around 2008 or 2009. I have mixed reviews about that hunt. Their camps are in good areas. There are good numbers of moose there and you will have a decent chance at a nice one if you are able to walk.
I'm not sure what their situation is now, but at the time that I went, they were short on guides. I am pretty sure they overbooked their camps and some guides were leaving the island to work up in Alberta at the time.
Anyway, on my hunt, we had 4 hunters and 2 decent guides, one guide who was a 17 year old kid who hadn't shot a moose himself yet, and one guy who was a woodsman but didn't even hunt himself. I hunted with the woodsman guy and did okay because I had been to Newfoundland several times before that.
The camp was in a bit of disrepair. It was advertised that there was a shower at camp, and technically there was. But all we could get out of it was a drizzle like someone peeing down your back. May as well have not worked at all. They also said there were two ATV's to retrieve game. There were 2 ATV's, but one was a Honda ATC that was torn apart and not working. For the 8 people in camp, they sent in exactly one case of water for the hunt. The main guide called and complained and later in the hunt they flew in exactly one more case. We had to ration the water to make it last and it would have been nice to have more. That may seem like a small point, but ration your water for 6 days when you are hiking miles upon miles daily.
I was booked for moose and bear and was told that they would take a bucket of fryer grease in and hang it up prior to my arrival to begin attracting bears. That didn't happen and the bucket of grease flew in with me. After I shot my moose, the guide was flown out to go to another camp. So I hung the grease myself and hunted over it by myself for a few days. Technically, a guide has to be with the hunter at all times in Newfoundland. But nonetheless, I hunted alone the last few days.
I guess the final thing that irked me was that the workers all seemed to be griping about each other. There were miscommunications among them and it was clear they weren't all on the same page. It was apparent that organization was not a priority.
I shot a 12 point bull that was in the upper 30's for spread, decent Newfie bull. But still I haven't gone back there. Perhaps they've gotten their act together since then. I don't know. But based upon my hunt, I don't recommend them and would advise you to proceed with caution.
BTW, when I went it was with a guy who had hunted there 5 or 6 times prior to that. In fact I went on his recommendation. He was so mad with how the hunt went that he hasn't gone back either. FWIW. Best of luck to you, you may need it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:53 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Going to hunt with Sandy Lake Lodge this fall, so I'll let you guys know. 2016 hunted with Notch Mountain Outfitters, Good hunt, great food, nice people, and fun. My brother got his moose the first day out. I blew my chance at a nice bull, but that one of those, I wished, I should have stories. We spent a lot of time in the truck looking and did see moose, the week before they saw mostly bulls, the week we hunted we saw one bull, "the way hunting goes". Nice lodge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page