Doing outfitted hunts solo - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Doing outfitted hunts solo

Do you prefer to take your outfitted hunts solo? Or do you like going with another? Seems like it's difficult to make plans, and everyone agree with everything. Lately i prefer to take my hunting trips solo. Seems i'm not getting any younger, just tired of waiting for guys to make up their mind and commit to a trip.
Ghost and cwa1104sab like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:13 PM
The Man

About 3/4th of the trips that I've gone on have been solo. It's nice to have a buddy, but I do not like larger groups at all. The bigger the group you have, the more likely you are to have problems. I have never had an issue with going alone, and in fact it kinda enhances the adventure aspect of things.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:11 PM
The Man

I've done the vast majority of my outfitted hunts alone, but in the past ten years I've done quite a few with a small group of companions. I'm getting to the age where I'm getting reluctant to travel alone. This season I have three hunts booked, two I'll be alone, one I'll have traveling companions.
deerslayer37 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:05 PM

I used to do the group thing with friends and I guess when I was younger I had more patience in getting things organized. Now I pretty much go it alone as if I had waited on buddies to make decisions or waited on them to raise funds then I would have missed out on allot of hunting over the years. I am doing a hunt this October with my 2 best friends and it has been exacerbating at times. 2+ years in the planning and even now can't make decisions over travel. So much easier to just deal with yourself.
kudu58, loridr and deerslayer37 like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The few I have gone on I went with a small group of close friends. I prefer this as I get sick of talking to myself. I'm just not very good company.
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:21 AM

I flew to Utah 6 times to hunt, always with a group of 4. We went moose hunting 10 times, usually with a group of 4. When flying, it’s always good to travel with others...you can drop of gear curbside at airport with a buddy, you can have someone get the rental while another babysits bags etc. You also have more eyes on the road when traveling, and you can split expenses.

But the main reason is it’s a lot more fun sharing the trip with friends or family. I’d never go on a trip without companions. Wouldn’t be the same without having others along. That’s why I liked the 2x1 moose hunts...I got to see 19 moose shot over the years.
chilli likes this.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 05-17-2018 at 03:09 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM

Honestly, I'd rather go by myself. The only down side being I don't enjoy long drives half-way across the country alone, especially as I get older.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Part of the Community

i prefer to take my wife she can drop me off and go to the nearest motel and do her thing shop. site see.spas while i hunt
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I went to Colorado on an elk hunt last fall and went with a buddy, which for that kinda terrain, I consider necessary so that someone knows where I am if I don't come back at night.

He is in air force and stationed in Kansas, so I drove from PA to Kansas (and back at the end) solo, and that wasn't the most fun I've ever had. But....the trip was worth it by far, so I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

That wasn't an outfitted hunt, though.

I haven't done an outfitted hunt solo, although I would. Just depends on if it's something I want to do and don't have buddies who want to go, too.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

went on a moose hunt last fall with my friend and we had a great time. he can't go this year, but I have been giving some thought on going myself. its an outfitted hunt and I would be in camp with whoever there was room with at the time. I need to decide fairly soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page