Elk Drop Camp Experiences - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Elk Drop Camp Experiences

Well... here goes.

If you have done an elk drop camp hunt please post your experiences. I don't care what state. Please do not post your guided hunt experiences. I just want to hear from people that have actually done one.

Thanks

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Pmd
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:32 PM
Regular Visitor

I've done two to Colorado. Both in unit 24 on the edge of the Flat Top wilderness during the first season. We were packed in about 4 miles from the trailhead and given a tent, stove and wood. We provided everything else with a 160lb limit for each hunter (3 of us). We based our requirements on previous guided hunts and it worked out well. We pre-cooked all meals, vacuumed sealed and froze them. They all fitted into one cooler. When we got to the camp, the cooler was put in a stream with burlap over it. Everything stayed cold for the week. We saw plenty of elk and a few other hunters, probably less than 10 each time. The first hunt we got 2 bulls and should have had 3 but I had to hunt from camp. I broke my leg the day before the season opened. I stayed in for the week but it was a very long ride out. The second time we got one but the weather was all over the place. First 2 days were in the 80's and the next 3 we had snow and high winds. We even had a thunder snow storm one night. Quite an experience at 10k feet. If you go with a reputable outfitter it is a great way to hunt elk. Just make sure you do your homework and get in shape. Those mountains are nothing like the east coast. Good luck

USAF retired
NRA Life Member
RMEF Life Member

Life is hard, it's harder if you are stupid--John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

Never did a drop camp. Always flew out, rented a car and camped right behind it. Then either walked out from camp and hunted or drove down the road a bit and walked in. This was bow season. August and early September. Walked in about a mile and sometimes up to 2 miles to find elk. Shot 2 bulls in 7 years and could have shot more. Hunted with a long bow. Good luck.
bigguy54, peddle-paddle and BigJob like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good info ScottG. and 35 Whelen. Much appreciated.
35 whelen likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Make sure whoever you book with provides packing out an animal. My dad and I shot bulls within minutes of each other. There were 4 of us working on these two bulls and it took us the better part of the morning and afternoon to get then quartered and packed out on mules. We couldn't get the mules right to the kills and only had to walk 60 yards and it was the most tiring ordeal ever
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well, figured I'd do a follow-up to this thread now that I went on the hunt. I ended up using Eagle Mountain Outfitters just outside of Gunnison Colorado. I ended up choosing them because they do not offer guided hunts, only drop camps. That eliminated the worry the camps were put in less desirable areas than where the guided hunters were. This outfitter's camps are in Unit 54, a draw unit, but we drew with 0 pts. I think drawing odds were about 75% with 0 pts this year. The services provided by Eagle Mountain were as advertised. The camp was comfortable and the horses were good. Other than that the hunting was left up to us. We hunted the first week of the season. I saw 32 elk for the week but nothing in bow range. I did see a couple other hunters (not from the outfitter) but it is public ground. Beautiful country, yet extremely rugged, and all-in-all a very fun hunt. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. If anyone would like more details feel free to PM me.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDown15 View Post
Well, figured I'd do a follow-up to this thread now that I went on the hunt. I ended up using Eagle Mountain Outfitters just outside of Gunnison Colorado. I ended up choosing them because they do not offer guided hunts, only drop camps. That eliminated the worry the camps were put in less desirable areas than where the guided hunters were. This outfitter's camps are in Unit 54, a draw unit, but we drew with 0 pts. I think drawing odds were about 75% with 0 pts this year. The services provided by Eagle Mountain were as advertised. The camp was comfortable and the horses were good. Other than that the hunting was left up to us. We hunted the first week of the season. I saw 32 elk for the week but nothing in bow range. I did see a couple other hunters (not from the outfitter) but it is public ground. Beautiful country, yet extremely rugged, and all-in-all a very fun hunt. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. If anyone would like more details feel free to PM me.
I hunted 54 in 2012. You go in by Blue Mesa?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPlank View Post
I hunted 54 in 2012. You go in by Blue Mesa?

Yes, I forget the name of the road but headed North right by the dam. I'd have to look at a map again but I'd say we were hunting about 25 miles straight North of the lake.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDown15 View Post
Yes, I forget the name of the road but headed North right by the dam. I'd have to look at a map again but I'd say we were hunting about 25 miles straight North of the lake.
Sounds like close to the same area. West Elk Peak, Porcupine Cone.
We spent a week in there on a DIY. No elk around so we packed out and relocated. Supposedly, 54 is not what it used to be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page