Horrible outfitter- Warning - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Horrible outfitter- Warning

This guy books alot of PA guys fom Harrisburg. Stay away he is full of lies and shady.
I posted this on Facebook and have received very similar stories about him from many people.

Harrison's outfitter service
St. Micheals, Maryland

My wife and I met the owner Danny Harrison at the Harrisburg outdoor show in PA last year. We were told by him there that getting us on canvasbacks and bluebills would be no problem. His grandson even told us that if canvasbacks weren't around bluebills are around and they kill tons of them. So we booked 2 days of diver hunting and one day of sea duck hunting. We were under the impression both hunts would be in the Chesapeake bay shooting out of a duck blind boat. Fast forward to a month ago, I call and ask how the hunting is going. He says we are killing a little of everything, divers, puddle ducks, and geese. I proceed to call the day before the hunt to see where we meet and times. He then tells me it's to windy to go sea duck hunting and the tides are not right at his blinds for ducks. He wants us to go goose hunting in a field. I told him we didn't book a goose hunt and we weren't doing that. I said we would just hunt the 2 days and he could take our deposit and spread it out for 2 days instead of 3. He then goes on to tell me that he shouldn't refund us the money because he is offering us a plan b. I tell him again we didn't book geese and don't want to hunt them. He then says he will have his grandson take us out the next day for sea ducks. He says it might be awhile to get on them cuz we have to find them first. Not to be in a hurry in the morning. So they next day to our surprise we are getting on a 32 ft. Oyster boat to hunt sea ducks. We are one of the last to leave the docks. I'm guessing so guides could go out in bay and find other guides already hunting and set up near them. This boat didn't have life jackets. But remember owner said it would be too rough to hunt the day before. Magically the bay was calm and there were atleast 10 other rigs out doing the same. So they anchor us behind the decoys. They give us 5 gallon buckets to sit on. If I was a guide I would never give a client a bucket to sit on. They have us set up most of the day facing the sun. 99 percent of the birds flared coming in. Apparently this practice of using osyter boats is common. I didn't like this as I wanted to shoot birds cupped and committed. When I asked the guides why we weren't using layout boats I was told no guides use them on the bay. After the hunt we had 5 scooters and lost 4 cripples, kind of hard to chase them down after in a osyter boat. Another thing that upset me is I told the guides on the boat my wife was pregnant. They continued to smoke all day with us down wind of them. Day 2 comes. Meet new guide in the morning, he takes us out "diver hunting. He takes us to a spot were the creek meets the river. It's tidal so when we get there his decoys are set up on dry ground. About 40 geese decoys. He then sets 40 bluebills in the 1ft deep water. He then calls and invites his friend to come hunt. We booked this hunt as we would be by ourselves. As legal shooting time comes his dog breaks away to chase geese. So now him and the friend are yelling for the dog. This happened at least 5 times. We shot one loner goose, saw plenty but guide didnt bring any calls, so he tries mouth calling them. That sure didn't work. We sat the whole day and never saw any bluebills or cans. I ask guide when was last time they killed divers in this blind he tells me none this season so far but it could happen any day. He then tells me stories of how one group killed 3 times over the limit of cans with him there once, 7 guys killed 21 cans when limit was 1. He tells us how he shots swans for people for Christmas dinner, and how he would shot black ducks from the road with a BB gun at a refuge. This was just one of his many shady stories. Explains why the guides pictures make it look like they kill lots. So after not seeing any rafts or divers at all I call guide up and tell him this is not diver hunting like we thought we were booking and that he doesn't have the ducks he told us would be around. He proceeds to tell us that he isn't God and can't control birds. I ask for my money back for the next days hunt as he told me we would be with same guide again and same blind. He then tells us there are no refunds. He tells us that we are diver hunting from that blind and that they might finally show up. I told him once again that this was not what we were told we would be hunting like. Need less to say he got ugly with us. Told us if we kept talking we were going to make him " un Christian" Moral of the story is do not book a hunt with him.

Hunt was horrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The Guide we just used in Pa. wasn't much better.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:00 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 02:41 PM

I remember years ago fishing the Chesapeake bay for drum fish out of Harrison marina. And then I read where they got caught doing something illegal. I wonder if this is all the same family.

Life Member NRA
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 05:35 PM
Banned

Thank You

Thank you for sharing, always good to know others experience.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:29 AM
The Man

If he indeed did not have any life jackets on board, I would report him to the Marine Police and/or Coast guard. That is required by boating laws, plus if he's using his boat commercially there are federal laws for that. As per your money, I'd call the MD state Atty General's office and request a complain form. Follow the advice given above and go after that clown!
stinkbait and Pahack like this.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 09:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. This is one reason, I will only book or look into booking something IF I know and trust someone that has already been there, done that.

Are we at camp yet?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Funny, he didn't worry about being UnChristian when he Ripped you off.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:28 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear about the bad experiance , Always best to check some references first thanx for the sharing
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:08 PM

should be something legally you could do to him ,so it doesn't happen to someone else
bobcat1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page