Anybody Familiar with 5J hunts out of Missouri - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Anybody Familiar with 5J hunts out of Missouri

I set up a hunt with Jeff Henks / 5J hunts out of Carrollton Missouri. Has anybody hunted with him. Spoke with him several times and found no issues.
Any feedback appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 PM
Regular Visitor

I did check out their website and they look like a pretty good outfit. Meals, lodging, and hunting all at a good price. Are you going for archery season or rifle? I also see they have an antler restriction with 4 points on a side, for the whole county. So they should have some nice quality deer available. Good luck, from what I seen so far you made a great choice, Missouri is right at the top for excellent Midwest whitetail hunting.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer37 View Post
I did check out their website and they look like a pretty good outfit. Meals, lodging, and hunting all at a good price. Are you going for archery season or rifle? I also see they have an antler restriction with 4 points on a side, for the whole county. So they should have some nice quality deer available. Good luck, from what I seen so far you made a great choice, Missouri is right at the top for excellent Midwest whitetail hunting.
We will only see if he made a good choice after his hunt. a lot of outfitters promise the world and charge you 3500-4000 for a midwest hunt and if you are lucky maybe you see a 120 inch buck. mabery you see a 180 inch buck. It takes a lot more than checking out a website to determine if you are going with the right outfitter. I wish you the best of luck with who you are looking at to give pou what you think should be a great hunt. but do a ton of research and don't book until your ready to drop your money on what you think will be the hunt you are looking for and the expectations you want. Do not book a hunt until you are 100 percent sure your outfitter is going to give you a good hunt in an area that has quality deer that are not hunted from the start of bow season until the time you get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338/378wm View Post
We will only see if he made a good choice after his hunt. a lot of outfitters promise the world and charge you 3500-4000 for a midwest hunt and if you are lucky maybe you see a 120 inch buck. mabery you see a 180 inch buck. It takes a lot more than checking out a website to determine if you are going with the right outfitter. I wish you the best of luck with who you are looking at to give pou what you think should be a great hunt. but do a ton of research and don't book until your ready to drop your money on what you think will be the hunt you are looking for and the expectations you want. Do not book a hunt until you are 100 percent sure your outfitter is going to give you a good hunt in an area that has quality deer that are not hunted from the start of bow season until the time you get there.
Maebuck, It sounds to me like you did your homework on this outfitter. You've been to their website, checked-out all of last year's deer photo's, talked to the outfitter several times on the phone. The only other suggestion would be to contact a few of their references. You have to remember your hunting free ranging deer, and the outfitter can only put you in the best possible location to harvest a mature buck. He can't control the exact day and time a deer will walk by. Also, remember it's about the whole experience, the adventure driving to and from the location, hunting a new area, meeting new people, eating home cooked meals, and just hanging out each night in the lodge. Don't let other's try to discourage you, these are the people that go to these canned hunts, where you shoot your deer from behind a fence, and pay when you check-out. Definitely not for me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Maebuck, It sounds to me like you did your homework on this outfitter. You've been to their website, checked-out all of last year's deer photo's, talked to the outfitter several times on the phone. The only other suggestion would be to contact a few of their references. You have to remember your hunting free ranging deer, and the outfitter can only put you in the best possible location to harvest a mature buck. He can't control the exact day and time a deer will walk by. Also, remember it's about the whole experience, the adventure driving to and from the location, hunting a new area, meeting new people, eating home cooked meals, and just hanging out each night in the lodge. Don't let other's try to discourage you, these are the people that go to these canned hunts, where you shoot your deer from behind a fence, and pay when you check-out. Definitely not for me.
Hope your not referring to me about canned hunts. I have to assume so since no one else posted. If your not referring to me then disregard. If you are, then I can tell you I have never hunted behind a fence before and have been on many successful hunts over the last 30 years by doing more research than just looking at a website and forming a conclusion about making a good decision. It takes a lot more than looking at a website to sell me a hunt. To the OP I hope you have a great hunt I have done a lot of midwest whitetail hunting and in the right place with the right people you will have a real good hunt.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Hope your not referring to me about canned hunts. I have to assume so since no one else posted. If your not referring to me then disregard. If you are, then I can tell you I have never hunted behind a fence before and have been on many successful hunts over the last 30 years by doing more research than just looking at a website and forming a conclusion about making a good decision. It takes a lot more than looking at a website to sell me a hunt. To the OP I hope you have a great hunt I have done a lot of midwest whitetail hunting and in the right place with the right people you will have a real good hunt.
Maebuck, you've done what you could to research this hunt. Nothing short of, having a background check done, running a credit report or hiring a private investigator to "check-out" the outfitter. Alot of people won't book a hunt unless there is a guarantee your going to be successful. I researched and taken over a dozen hunting trips the same way you have. If someone wants a guaranteed hunt then they go to a preserve. This way they feel like they got their moneys worth. Good luck on your hunt.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hey guys....thanks for the heads up. He's got 450 plus acres of his own and he's a farmer. He only takes 4 guys in for rifle or 8 the entire rifle season. I liked the idea that it was his own property and it's managed with food plots. I hunted a lease out there a couple of years ago and had others shooting deer all around me. One good thing about the internet now is you can find out anything. I went the background check route.....nothing....social media....no red flags. For the price....heck, most places are 4 grand plus. Who knows.....I just like the fact it's hunting and not gathering....LOL Ill keep everybody posted.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Maebuck, you've done what you could to research this hunt. Nothing short of, having a background check done, running a credit report or hiring a private investigator to "check-out" the outfitter. Alot of people won't book a hunt unless there is a guarantee your going to be successful. I researched and taken over a dozen hunting trips the same way you have. If someone wants a guaranteed hunt then they go to a preserve. This way they feel like they got their moneys worth. Good luck on your hunt.
That is awesome lets see some of your success photos on your hunts. I would love to see them and hear more about your successful hunts. Im always open to hear a good place to hunt. And I alwlays share my success with other guys. So lets see some of the good hunts you have been on.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:40 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
That is awesome lets see some of your success photos on your hunts. I would love to see them and hear more about your successful hunts. Im always open to hear a good place to hunt. And I alwlays share my success with other guys. So lets see some of the good hunts you have been on.
Lmao. Pictures look good on a website.. Wonder how many were actually off of that property? Or how many were guides or friends that shot bucks and not clients?

I can't wait to see these success stories and photos.

Edit: Nevermind. There wasn't a trophy in the pics I saw. Must not even have a minimum score.

Last edited by Truth sayer; 03-31-2017 at 05:50 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Ill keep all posted. I'll treat it like Christmas morning......I get something real nice or I get SOCKS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in