1st time booking a hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
tlh
Regular Visitor

1st time booking a hunt

OK, so I hit a milestone birthday this year and my wife wants me to pick out a hunt for my present. A friend of mine will be going as well. Since I've never hunted anywhere but here in PA and in the south when I was stationed there, I thought I'd get some input from those who are more wise than I. Since I had no forewarning, I've never really thought about where/what I'd like to hunt given the opportunity. Other than brown bear in Alaska but realistically that is out of my price range. I've mulled over Moose in Newfoundland, Elk in Colorado, Wyoming or Montana, Bear in Canada, and maybe even wolf out west. Here's what I'm up against - I'd like to keep the price of the hunt (not including travel, gratuity, etc) to under $5500 or so. The guy I'm going with isn't very mobile so that concerns me regarding Elk out west (horses wouldn't be a big help either). I have mixed feelings of hunting bear over bait so I'm not real sure about that either. So I guess what I'm asking is for those of you who do these hunts now, or have done this in the past, if you were to book your first hunt knowing then what you know now, where would you go and what would you recommend? I know I'm leaving a lot of variables out, but like I said, I didn't have any forewarning. Things I do know is I'd like to limit this to big game (moose, elk, bear, caribou, wolf, etc) and I'm afraid drop camps or hiking 7-8 miles a day is out. Thanks in advance and feel free to make suggestions about things I'm probably not thinking about or even aware of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Call Ute Lodge , Meeker, Co
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:49 AM

If it were me I would do a guided mule deer/antelope hunt in Wyoming. This is a great first hunt to go on and if you go with the right outfitter success on both animals is usually 100 %. It is also in your budget. It is also a relatively easy hunt. I hunted the Casper Wyoming region 5 times for mule deer and antelope and the terrain is rolling sage brush. Very easy terrain for most hunters. You will see a lot of game and is a really fun hunt to get your feet wet. The scenery is great on most ranches you will take very respectable animals. God luck on your decision and hunt whatever you choose to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree with 338/378. A mule deer antelope hunt in Wy. is just what you are looking for. I have done this & was great. Here is the outfitter I used out of Buffalo Wy. Southfork Mountain lodge an outfitters. My buddy & I seen over 200 Antelope & well over a 100 mule deer on our 4 day hunt we both shot Big & antelope & very good Mule deer. It was not a very physical hunt, so may be just what you need for your friend & is in your price range.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:01 PM

You should give HuntingPa sponsor Premier Hunting Adventures a call. Larry is a booking agent. You hunt will not cost more if it is booked through him. He knows his outfitters and can discuss your wants and needs to pick the best hunt for you.
casey, SRA-5C+ and Big Don like this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

X2 for Premier.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:06 PM
The Man

I have heard nothing but good about Larry from PHA.

That being said, the hunt you go on is strictly a matter of personal preference. 1,000,000 people can come on here and tell you what they'd do. Be honest with yourself and ask what do YOU really want to do. You specifically mentioned NFLD moose. I can tell you this, there is a Newfie moose hunt out there that is as strenuous or as easy as you want it to be. The muley and antelope hunt previously mentioned is also nice. There are easier elk hunts out there. Decide what YOU really want and then pursue your options. If you call Larry, tell him what you are looking for and he will help you out. Good luck with your decision and trip.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:41 PM

x3 on Premier Hunting, he has lots of hunts and places to go.

I went on CO elk hunt 77 - E last year, no horses for me either. Trucks or ATV's take you out, and great guides.

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.

Last edited by gentleben; 03-24-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: no links permitted per the new rule
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:17 PM

I've hunted 4 western states, Alaska, Maine, but I'd say a Newfoundland moose hunt is probably the best value out there for outfitted hunts. Hunts range from $4000-$8000, with $4500 a common price. That generally includes your tag too. The upper end fly in hunts will be at the upper end of the scale. Moose hunts there average around a 80% success rate. All in, you'de be under $6k.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh View Post
OK, so I hit a milestone birthday this year and my wife wants me to pick out a hunt for my present. A friend of mine will be going as well. Since I've never hunted anywhere but here in PA and in the south when I was stationed there, I thought I'd get some input from those who are more wise than I. Since I had no forewarning, I've never really thought about where/what I'd like to hunt given the opportunity. Other than brown bear in Alaska but realistically that is out of my price range. I've mulled over Moose in Newfoundland, Elk in Colorado, Wyoming or Montana, Bear in Canada, and maybe even wolf out west. Here's what I'm up against - I'd like to keep the price of the hunt (not including travel, gratuity, etc) to under $5500 or so. The guy I'm going with isn't very mobile so that concerns me regarding Elk out west (horses wouldn't be a big help either). I have mixed feelings of hunting bear over bait so I'm not real sure about that either. So I guess what I'm asking is for those of you who do these hunts now, or have done this in the past, if you were to book your first hunt knowing then what you know now, where would you go and what would you recommend? I know I'm leaving a lot of variables out, but like I said, I didn't have any forewarning. Things I do know is I'd like to limit this to big game (moose, elk, bear, caribou, wolf, etc) and I'm afraid drop camps or hiking 7-8 miles a day is out. Thanks in advance and feel free to make suggestions about things I'm probably not thinking about or even aware of.
Check out Heartspear Outfitters in Wyoming he will give you the hunt you are looking for. Hands down one of the best outfitters in Wyoming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page