Newfoundland Moose outfitters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Newfoundland Moose outfitters

I am interested in going on a moose hunt in Newfoundland. I talked to several outfitter @ the H-burg show. They all talk a good game but I am interest to know if anyone has had an past experiences with these or any other outfitters in NF. The ones at the show were Brophy & sons, Parsons Pond, Red Indian Lakes And Beaulieu.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Newfoundland Moose outfitters

Welcome to the site. If anyone here has used one of those outfitters they will gladly inform you.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 AM

12 of us went over 2 weeks with Roberts Outfitting in 09, going back with 14 guys this year completely filling both their camps. Wasn't perfect because of weather, but the outfitter, guides, accomidations and everything else they had control of was awesome.

Don't let our differences defeat us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:04 AM
The Man

I have personally hunted with Roger Lewis of Corner Brook 7 times. He is outstanding. His home phone number is 709-686-2370.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have hunted with Westwoods Outfitters and had a great experience. Three hunters went and we all filled are tags and took some nice trophies. 2 Caribou, 3 Moose, and 3 bear. What are you going after? If you are looking for bigger moose I suggest you find an outfitter that you have to access by plane. On alot of the drive in hunts you also have to contend with locals hunting for moose. These areas don't often produce your bigger bulls. It is still possible to shoot a big bull but not likely from my experiences. We took small moose (antlers anyway) and our 2 caribou were really nice for woodland. But the guide only had 2 caribou tags because of the problems their having with them on the island. Get a bear tag because there are awesome bears on the island. I seen 5 bears the week I was up. Good luck in your booking.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the welcome and appreciate all your inputs. Like many people I have limited funds and time available for these types of hunts. I know nothing is guaranteed but I just want to make sure the outfitter is reputable and the hunting area has moose. They can't control the weather but they need to have reliable equipment, knowledgable guides and adequate accomodations. My goal for this hunt is to get a moose preferably a bull but if I have to shot a cow so be it. I hear moose meat is very good. Keep on giving me information, I don't believe you can get too much information on a subject like this.
Thanks
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 11:43 AM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

PM sent
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you just want to get a moose and aren't worried about the size of the rack then Westwoods would be a great fit for you. They have alot of moose and you can choose to get an either sex tag. There are some big bulls shot there. But Stewart will tell you that his hunts for moose aren't trophy hunts. Like I said you have to get away from the locals and drive in hunts to get your bigger bulls. Moose meat is awesome probably right next to bison meat as being the best. They are very reasonable and when I did my hunt a couple of years ago, it cost me $4500.00 to shoot the Slam (Bear, woodland caribou, and moose). The food is fantastic, gear is top notch, nice warm quarters, and guides are friendly and fun to be around. And to top that off there is moose and bear all over. We did see some caribou but the numbers on the island are down. They get your animal to the butcher quickly so your meat is frozen for the trip back home. I don't know if your interested in bear but they have alot of them around their area. I seen two that were over 400 lbs. I would definately get a bear tag no matter where you hunt in Newfoundland. Reguardless of where you go it is a beautiful game rich island that you will enjoy.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here's my woodland caribou in velvet.

Here's my brother Brian's Bull Moose

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

big28hunter, thanks for the photos, I would be happy with that. The number 1 thing is the experience, you just can't replace that. How did you get to NF? Do you have any intentions of returning back to Westwoods?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page