Jack Hume Adventures - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Jack Hume Adventures

Booked with JHA for a a caribou hunt this sept. I know that they come highly reccommended. Was just wondering what to expect. Any do any fishing while they were there? (if so what lures should i take?) Any chances on seeing a bear, should i get a tag or not. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks in advance, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Re: Jack Hume Adventures

welcome to HPA.

here is a great link. Search Jack Hume Adventures for some reviews.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/OUTFI.../outfitter.cfm

I am a Reagan Conservative first and a Republican second.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 PM

I went with JHA in September. You certainly chose the right outfit. PM me with your email address or phone number and I'll give you all the details I can.

A lot depends on where you end up actually hunting, which you won't know until you arrive in Montreal. Different areas have huge differences in terrain and habitat. Some areas have better fishing, some not so hot. You're probably gonna be in Lake trout and brook trout areas, some have pike and arctic char too, but not all. For lake trout, take plenty of red & white daredevil spoons. 5 of diamonds pattern is good as well. Several of those spoons in a few different sizes is all you need for lakers and brook trout. In camp, I was the only one who had some smaller, subtle (brown, white) rooster tails, and I tore up the brook trout with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 PM

You can see some of my info in this thread:

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...20#Post1885720

Also, I did not get a bear tag and am glad I didn't. You may see a bear, a few are taken every year, but they are not 'super trophy' bears, or swarming around like ants. Like I said with fishing, a lot of that depends on where you are though. Many buy the bear tags, but hardly any ever get filled. Plus, you will be extremely limited on weight and volume you can fly out, so you likely would be able to only get the hide out if you did take a bear, and may have to sacrifice some caribou meat to do so (which you do not want to do, it's phenomenal).

What guide ratio are you on, and what part of september are you going?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the info, that was a very useful website. Was supposed to go on sept 15th, but just got e-mail, just couple mins ago, stating that our dates just got moved to the 18th. They had to do some shifting around to accomadate the new regulations that are being proposed. We are going on a 1x2 hunt. Was not sure what to do about the bear tag. I already have one full body mount, so i would just bring cape back for a rug. Just did not know what odds are that i would see one, and probably would regret not having a tag. Was happy to see that they are still going to allow 2 caribou from leaf river herd. No word about changes to Georges River herd yet though. They are propsing to cut hunt time from Aug 31st until 1st week of october. Was curious what kind of fishing lures to take if there was time to fish, but from reports that i read it seems that it has been taking the better portion of the week to actually get the caribou. Thanks for the info about the fishing. I appreciate it. When you were there in sept did you have to take the treble hooks off and replace with single barbless? I was told that fishing season would be out and had to switch hooks over. Will send PM to you. Thanks again
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:56 AM

PM replied
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 PM
New Arrival

You will really enjoy your hunt with them. I was there in 2005 and had a great time. The area we were given was at first questionable but was very fruitful. It also helped having a guide (Alfred) that did his best to put you into caribou. I work with a group of guys that went up in 1989 and were my referals, they were well pleased also. Jack still has his hand in the business a little but Richard his son and Amanda Richard's wife do a great job taking care of things now. We all got two except one person missed their chance on one because they got too excited (understandable). One young fellow with us got a record archery caribou. If you go hope you enjoy and best wishes.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Caribou hunting is either feast or famine. My first caribou hunt was out of Schefflerville, probably where you are headed. The guys before us didn't see any caribou until the last day. They shot some small bulls and cows for meat. The next day, our first day of hunting, we hunted to the east of town. We didn't see any caribou for a couple of hours and then it was like Niagra. Bulls everywhere and more antlers than Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop's combined. Our party of 4 had 8 caribou on the ground in a couple of hours. I probably saw a couple of thousand animals in half a day. I also hunted caribou in the artic circle in Alaska last year. According to Alaska Fish & Game the Western herd is 500,000 strong. That week my brothers and I saw 5 caribou. A big difference from my Quebec/Labrador hunt. If you have two tags I would take the first nice bull you see and then hold out for a slammer. Great rain gear is a must and get a bear tag. If you don't get one you'll end up seeing several and you'll be upset with yourself. I hope you hit it and get to see the numbers I did. Hopefully you will be posting some nice trophies after your trip. Reguardless of your success, you will be in some of the most breathtaking scenery created by God. Good luck
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

Does anyone know If Quebec is going to a one Caribou limit anytime soon? I'd like to book a hunt before that happens.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 01:25 AM

Nobody knows. Everything has been changing on the fly as of late. For now they are still issuing double tags for each license, but they dramatically cut the number of licenses, especially on the George River herd. Hume's running out of Lac Pau this year to concentrate on the leaf river herd. The GRH is in much worse shape, those that are left have been hanging in Labrador much of the time and they cut their season short last year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page