Gun or No Gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Gun or No Gun

Just wondering personal opinions on renting a firearm from your outfitter when you are flying to get to your hunt. Pros/Cons and experiences in flying overseas w/ your firearms compared to renting theirs?
Thanks

GOD is GREAT, BEER is GOOD, & PEOPLE are CRAZY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 PM

Re: Gun or No Gun

Never hear dof that. I've always taken mine, but I've been offered the use of a guide's gun...no charge though. If I'm paying to hunt, the least they can do is let me use their gun, if necessary. I would expect to provide my own ammo. But first and foremost, I prefer using my own guns. Taking them is not as big a hassle as you might think.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I have done it both ways. I prefer using my own guns. The only advantage to renting a gun where you are going, if we are talking about the Republic of South Africa, is that you will avoid the gun check station run by the police. From what I am told, it is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. In 2005 it took me over four hours to go through it. There are pre approval plans that will get you through now in less than 30 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yes,
RSA is where I am going and its seems I keep getting mixed reviews about the cutoms on their side/..............I am far from a patient guy so I am exploring my options. I never thought about not taking my own gun until talking to some of the references and some customs issues they had in Jo.burg

GOD is GREAT, BEER is GOOD, & PEOPLE are CRAZY
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

The professional hunters association of South Africa will make the trip through customs/gun registration a whole lot easier. The problem is that it costs extra for them to do it. I believe the current price is $140. You fill out the gun import form and send it to them and they get it pre-approved and you skip through customs in less than 15 minutes, or so I am told. My friend Tom is going in June and he is thinking about not paying the $140 and doing it himself. From what I am able to figure out, it is now taking less than an hour for most to go through the gun import process. If saving 45 minutes is worth $140 to you, that is an option. Go to this website and scroll down to pre-issued permits to do a bit more research.
http://www.phasa.co.za/
You also have a pm.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 03:03 PM
The Man

Almost all of my hunts anymore are in Newfoundland or South Africa. I haven't taken my own rifle either place since about 2004. I hate traveling with a rifle. It's just one extra bag to handle and possibly have to pay to check. One extra set of circumstances or checks to deal with, an extra fee to pay, etc. I've hunted with both of my guys enought imes that they don't charge me anything to use their guns. I ususally take them a few boxes of bullets that they load in their rifles and we call it even. Kinda fun for me also to see what kind of rifle they'll give me. I have developed affinities for the 8x57 and a particular Musgrave rifle in .308. I have yet to have an issue using another's rifle. For me, it's worth it not to have the hassle of taking my own, especially to South Africa. If you're going to RSA and taking your own rifle, I would definitely recommend a direct flight to Jo-burg from like Atlanta or DC. Problems with clients I have sent over is when they have stops in other countries. A direct flight is best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page